Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mpimbwe frontosa

I'm getting a breeding pair tonight!!! Can't wait!! The male is 8" and the female is 6". They are WILD CAUGHT! I'll post some photos later tonight when they get here

Old 01-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Congratulations I hope you will enjoy your new pair of fish

Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks!!! I'm excited
Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

pics !!!!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a quick pic of the male

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120117_002940.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	71400
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

He's a good looking boy
Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfy
He's a good looking boy

He's like a little puppy dog, when I reach in the tank he comes up and kind of curls up in my hand...lol...strange.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi I'm sure you know this but they don't do well as just a pair!!!
What can happen is the female will be holding and the male continue to bully the female to breed again. resulting in either eaten eggs/fry and or dead female. I suggest purchasing at least two more females this will take the pressure off!!!

The only way round this is to separate the female as soon as she starts holding and re- introduce once the fry are free swimming. However there is no guarantee he won't bully the **** out of here and possibly kill her when reintroduce as she won't be ready to breed again for a while.

Depending on the experience of the female she may not hold successfully until her 3 or 4 batch, but I would advice against stripping her for the eggs not only does this create learned behaviour so she may never hold successfully again but it's easy to dislocate the jaw and kill her.

I keep a group of 9 burundi frontosa, one dominate 12 inches and one sub dominate male 10 inches 5 females 2 are 8 inches and 3 are 5 inches and two unsexed juveniles . My frontosa are my pride and joy . I did a lot of research and spoke to several keepers and breeder for months before I brought mine to give them the best conditions possible.

Your frontosa look great and I wish you all the best breeding them, just thought I would offer some advice. Hope it helps . Any questions just ask

Dan
Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukdans1k
Hi I'm sure you know this but they don't do well as just a pair!!!
What can happen is the female will be holding and the male continue to bully the female to breed again. resulting in either eaten eggs/fry and or dead female. I suggest purchasing at least two more females this will take the pressure off!!!

The only way round this is to separate the female as soon as she starts holding and re- introduce once the fry are free swimming. However there is no guarantee he won't bully the **** out of here and possibly kill her when reintroduce as she won't be ready to breed again for a while.

Depending on the experience of the female she may not hold successfully until her 3 or 4 batch, but I would advice against stripping her for the eggs not only does this create learned behaviour so she may never hold successfully again but it's easy to dislocate the jaw and kill her.

I keep a group of 9 burundi frontosa, one dominate 12 inches and one sub dominate male 10 inches 5 females 2 are 8 inches and 3 are 5 inches and two unsexed juveniles . My frontosa are my pride and joy . I did a lot of research and spoke to several keepers and breeder for months before I brought mine to give them the best conditions possible.

Your frontosa look great and I wish you all the best breeding them, just thought I would offer some advice. Hope it helps . Any questions just ask

Dan
Thank you for the info!! They are in separate tanks
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Apologies if it seemed I was ranting, just frontosa are my favourite fish I get excited when I see someone else how has them and like to share my experience and info.

Tags
frontosa

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com