Multies Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I haven't been active in a while but I finally got some N. Multifasciatus in.

I got them in monday, and now the dominant male in the tank is picking on another male. There are 6 of them, unsexed but at least 2 males and at least 2 females. The tank is a 20 gallon high with aragonite sand and 6 inch by 4 inch by 10 inch (roughly) rock thing in the middle to break up sight lines.

Basically, the biggest male has claimed most of the tank for himself. Before today he seemed pretty tolerant. He only allowed this other male a corner of the tank, though. Now that territory has shrunk and the smaller male is holed up near the top corner, next to the filter intake.

I want to remove one of them and put them in a breeder box in the top of the tank for a day or two. The question is, do I remove the biggest male, and risk him losing territory and/or favor with the females (he has formed a harem with at least one female already), or remove the smaller male and risk the move stressing him out too much and/or have the biggest male become completely intolerant of him while he is gone.

Essentially, should I remove the abuser, or the abusee?

:thanks:

Remove the weaker male(s) and keep the number of males as low as possible. They typically will be relentless once they start picking on a weaker fish. You could try adding a nice sized chunk of hokey rock into the center of the tank to create separate territoriesq

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't exactly just take out the male, I wouldn't have any place to put him. Their specific requirements mean that the LFSs near me (which are all horrible) wouldn't accept him.

Yes, I forgot to mention I have 30something shells in the tank.

I'm going to try putting the larger male in the breeder box for a while.

Im not sure if its the same for Africans, but with most fish you don't want to remove to dominant fish. If the dominant fish loses his place, its bad. It creates a whole new fight for dominance and it is a bloodbath.

Remove the weaker male. Im sure someone on the forum will take him as their own or be able to rehome him if you're open to that possibility.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Personally I would try to find another home for the sub male, he can't stay in a breeder box forever and letting him out means it starts all over again...
I lost two Shellies in the same size tank getting driven out through the tiniest little crack. After keeping them for a while I think that size works for a single male and some ladies, or a pair for non harem breeders. Good luck! Shellies are awesome :)

Personally I would try to find another home for the sub male, he can't stay in a breeder box forever and letting him out means it starts all over again...

I suppose you're right. I'm going to add some floating plants and perhaps dither fish to the tank soon and see if I can slip the male back in in the process. If it goes awry again then I'll give him away.

I never tried dithers but have done floating plants and rearranging the shells/rocks. I kept a good-sized colony with multiple males in a 10g. Hope it works out for you!

I never tried dithers but have done floating plants and rearranging the shells/rocks. I kept a good-sized colony with multiple males in a 10g. Hope it works out for you!

Neon Tetras as dithers work well.

And yes, that was a joke, albeit an im-really-tired-need-to-sleep joke.:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Multis typically do not do well with other fish in the tank. These would also be considered target fish, not dithers, as dithers being shy fish out of hiding, target relieve pressure on weaker fish. You're best bet is to rehome the weaker male

Multis typically do not do well with other fish in the tank. These would also be considered target fish, not dithers, as dithers being shy fish out of hiding, target relieve pressure on weaker fish. You're best bet is to rehome the weaker male

That was a joke if you didnt catch that...?

But yeah, targets would be the right word. They wouldnt last long

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Back
Top Bottom