Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

multiple Severums in a 55?

Is it possible to keep 2-3 Severums in a 55 gallon tank? Does anyone here have any experince with Severum and Severum tankmates? I think I may have asked a similar question to this months ago but you never know.....

Old 01-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two severums in a 55 gallon but they won't likely be in there much longer. They aren't fully mature yet. I don't think mature ones would do well in a 55. I was planning on getting a larger tank this year but my severums seem to be pairing up and so I may be buying something bigger much sooner then planned. Anyway for now they are okay and you could definitely do it with small severums that aren't mature but you'd have to plan for something bigger down the line. Mine are in a community tank with rams, a blood red parrot, and a firemouth. They all get along fine. I also have some cories and a raphael catfish in there, no problems. However there used to be some otos in there and I'm positive my larger severum ate them. I have never seen him bother anyone else. I wouldn't add anything small to the tank now for fear my male would eat them. Most of the fish that are in the tank now were added within weeks of each other and all the fish were small so they have grown together. I think if I added something new at this point the firemouth and larger severum would pick on it.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wonder if one Severum would do okay, maybe with a firemouth or blue acara.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My severum and firemouth do fine together but the severum was added first and was bigger than the firemouth. I'm not sure if it's always the case, but I'd definitely consider my firemouth a more aggressive fish than my severum so I'd add the firemouth last if you try it.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A mated pair of sevs would be fine in a 55 gallon tank.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What about a non-mating pair? Male-male or female-female?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could probably keep a young male-male pair together until they reached sexual maturity; after that, there'd be too much territorial aggressiveness to deal with. Two females may work though, if they grew up together and neither fish was terribly aggressive (severum temperment can vary greatly from fish to fish).
Old 01-20-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's always the case, but I'd definitely consider my firemouth a more aggressive fish
I have 4 firemouths with 1 severum in a 55G. The Severum is not fully grown but he is a monster. He really defines his territory which is just about anywhere he is. I tried to keep 3 Severums together about 2 1/2 inch in size but they just killed each other (really tore their fins up). Had to revert to 1. And the one I have was the one being beaten up by the other 2 severums. Hmmm bullied and now he's a bully. I bet there's probably a fish shrink out there somewhere.

The Firemouths are very aggressive but 99% of the time its just with themselves and not the tank mates. Never kept a single firemouth so they could be aggressive on there own.

I had never seen a fully grown Severum before but I just seen 1 and I think I will have to bring mine back to the LFS because the wife has'nt come around to a 180g tank So I'm not gonna let him get so big I can't bring him back. Wow the Severum was huge no way is a 55g big enough for him to swim IMO. This Severum was only 2 years old. Bet he would give ya a good nip!

Happy hunting.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So you are saying a 55 gallon should not be used to house a single Severum. I need to do some thinking on this some more before I do anything.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes, a 55 gallon tank is plenty large enough to house a single severum. It's even large enough for a pair of adult severums, providing the territory issues discussed above are taken into consideration.

Tags
severums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com