My 150 gal African cichlid tank is finally up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sleeves

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I finally got some fish in my 150gal African Cichlid tank.

I'm going with Lake Malawai Mbuna.

My next project is building a canopy to hide the lighting.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408138738.883658.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408138748.431687.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree you need more rock/wood work to make more hiding spots but the tank is up and running that's the main part. Good luck and enjoy. I love my African tank

I agree with the more rock and wood. That is coming. Just wanted to get it up and running. I will be on the prowl for rock and wood in the forests here in the PNW.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Personally, I would suggest avoiding the wood. Wood deteriorates in water and that is going to reduce your pH, granted not a lot - but some, and Mbuna prefer a higher pH. Stick with adding more rocks.

Mopani wood will last for many, many years in an aquarium. It does tend to turn the water brown for a while until most of the tannins soak out, but that doesn't do any harm.

I think the amount of wood I have now is fine. I'm on the hunt for good large natural rocks in my area not at the LFS

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

150G just for Mbuna?!
That's going to be one busy tank there.. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom