My 55 gallon Oscar tank,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herotilapia_Multispinosa

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dream world where fish is all that matters.
I need to get rid of the blue gravel....

Stock:
1 Tiger Oscar
1 Green Terror (Gold Saum)
1 Pictus (does not like my other pictus so he got his own tank)

All posts flaming my stock will be reported, Im tired of people flaming for no reason, i have PLENTY of other tanks available for these guys to be separated if need be, but they get along fine so no reason to separate yet.

The GT is really much darker not sure why my camera did that.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 178
i love the colour of the tank! very well decorated. and thats a very cute GT, the oscar is in good health... what else to say? beautiful!!

Your tank is beautiful! And all of your fish seem healthy and happy:) I'm trying to get stocking ideas for my new 55 gallon but everyone keeps telling me that's too small for an oscar and they can't be put with anything else... then I see tanks like yours and yours is the same size as well. People on this site can be pretty confusing. I love the decorations and plants too, great job!

Helloelliee said:
Your tank is beautiful! And all of your fish seem healthy and happy:) I'm trying to get stocking ideas for my new 55 gallon but everyone keeps telling me that's too small for an oscar and they can't be put with anything else... then I see tanks like yours and yours is the same size as well. People on this site can be pretty confusing. I love the decorations and plants too, great job!

Sure you can have an Oscar in a 55g for a while the thing is once starts getting full grown it won't be able to turn around comfortably. It will literally be bigger than the width of the tank.

Yeah and I don't want to be mean to the fish by any means by keeping it in too small of a tank, but 55 is as large as I can go because I live in an apartment. I think I've just decided to go with smaller african cichlids. Thanks!

Oscars get huge!! My lfs keeps a full grown Oscar in a 60 gallon aquarium. The poor guy can barely turn around! I mean, in nature oscars have a vast amount of space compared to even a 100 gallon aquarium. Even though they are tank bred, they deserve to have enough space to swim around....

are those real plants...don't they unroot them????
nope they are fake,

and to address the oscar in a 55, i semi-agree but when i got him i was told a 55 was the bare Minimum but it seems that is not the case, I just cant return him just yet he is to much of a friend. this is the first fish to me that is really like a dog haha. but when the day does come he becomes uncomfortable i will give him away, then either stick with CA cichlids or try my first african tank, but either way im keeping him for a bit :)

If he's still small youll be ok for a while,but eventually you will have to get a bigger tank,i have a 10" red that i put in a 55 for a week while doing a tank change over,and it was all oscar and no tank;)

I had two oscars in a 55g for at least two years. I got them when they were very small. But they do go thru there puberty around 8 months ....... And both of mine woke up on there 8th month and killed my GT that I had, then they beat each other up for a while, I knew they rip up live plants but for 8 month they were good, that is until that day....... My favorite freshwater fish (Oscar) but you will need a tank at least 18" from front to back lol after a year. Nice looking tank :)

You can keep them in a 55 for now. If and when they get to big you will know it. A 75 gal is 4' long. Keep up the water changers.

This is him/her. so blue Acara u think? Thats good cause a green terror prob wouldnt be the best in my tank lol. He also goes quite dark if he is Agro.

Attachments

• image-1099537832.jpg
    image-1099537832.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-837299767.jpg
    image-837299767.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom