My 75 gallon African tank. Water issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run 2 rena xp3's on my 75 g and I alternate cleaning them, one every month, so neither goes more than 2 months before cleaning. Each has a white micro pad that I discard and change out every time I clean the filter. This pad is never very dirty though, mostly less than a 50 cent size ring in the middle. Does the filter floss do something different then this pad? Would I use the floss instead of this pad? I too do not want to mess with a sump. I don't think I am overstocked though- my fish are mostly small-8 neon tetras, 8 black skirt tetras, 8 swartz cories, and one bolivian ram plus plants, rcs, and snails. Because of nitrate issues I have cut down on feeding and been culling the mts on regular basis....

If your water is clean and you dont have a problem dont change a thing!. Con and I are keeping overstocked African cichlid tanks so the mess is a bit of a pain to keep up with. You sound like you have a nice stable tank. If your having a nitrate problem i suggest you upgrade your lighting and getting some plants. With your stock you can really have a nice balance

This is the exact reason why I'm switching over to a wet/dry. It drives me nuts that the water isn't crystal clear when I look down it long ways.

Convict2161 said:
Save my money and don't add the 110? I figured if I add that and throw the filter floss in there it would easier to take out and just new ones rather then breaking down the fx5 every few days.

Your thoughts on the 110?

I think without doing a sump this is your best option.

Well I bought it. I'm gonna put it together in a little while. Should I just leave out the carbon?

Just do the sponge and filter floss? What about the bio media? I have a ton in the fx5. I was just gonna do sponge and filter floss.

Ok, up and running for about 20 minutes. I'll keep you posted if I see any change. So far nothing yet. After looking closely its hard to tell of its micro bubbles or debris. I guess we'll find out.

Just dawned on me. I'm running 2 Rena 300 pumps. Maybe that's creating the micro bubbles? I'm shut the pumps down now and see what happens.

I've got a fx5 to and I've got rings and balls and blue, white pads in mine! I wouldn't take mine apart every 2-3 weeks. Id add floss to my hob so it would be easy to replace.

Jmedic25 said:
So whats it look like now?

Just a little clearer but I had shut off my 2 Rena 300's. I'm gonna power them back up am see what happens. Honestly it looks like micro bubbles now not dirty particles. Tank is crystal clear... With micro bubbles :(

Soooo annoying.

Hey look at it this way...Micro bubbles mean that your water is well oxygenated. When you have a tank with really good flow its going to be a problem. ITS NOT DIRTY! lol

Jmedic25 said:
Hey look at it this way...Micro bubbles mean that your water is well oxygenated. When you have a tank with really good flow its going to be a problem. ITS NOT DIRTY! lol

Hey J I just tried something else just to see. I shut down the fx5 ran the air pumps and ran the AC 110. Crystal clear and NO micro bubbles!!

What's that mean? I turned the fx5 back on and BAM!!! Micro bubbles :(

I know my tank is clean it's just making me crazy. Although I will say after unplugging it twice the micro bubbles have become less but there still there. Something I have to live with?

I see these tanks at people's houses at fire calls or EMS runs and there spot on!! Like glass!! Guess when you have money to live in a 3 million dollar home micro bubbles aren't a issue.

Anything I can do? Is my fx5 defective? What gives? It's pumping out micros like its getting paid!

It seems after unplugging it a few times and hearing a loud gurgling sound a few times and powering it back up has helped a little. But bottom line is its the fx5 doing it.

As long as its not hurting anything I guess I have no choice but to live with it. I'm so anal about my tanks!

Its the sheer power of that filter. Think like when a fire engine cavitates. Just turbulance man...That filter is a beast

Jmedic25 said:
Its the sheer power of that filter. Think like when a fire engine cavitates. Just turbulance man...That filter is a beast

Ok brother so it's all good then? Thanks for all your help and time bro!! Truly appreciated!! Stay safe out there brother. Talk soon! I'll keep you posted about that other thing.

Malawi Freak said:
Sounds like you could possibly have a small, extremely tiny pinhole leak in one of the lines.

Oh GREAT!!! Not good for someone with OCD. Ordering new lines tomorrow!! Just incase.

Back
Top Bottom