My 75 gallon African tank. Water issue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Most of you know how anal and OCD I am about my tanks! So it's REALLY starting to bother me now. I've cleaned my fx5, cleaned the hoses and intake and outtake. I've cleaned the glass etc. gravel vac to a certain degree not totally due to the scape of my tank. So anyway I have like particles in my water and it drives me crazy!

What can I do? If I don't feed it's clear but not crisp crystal clear like it use to be. I'm thinking of adding a AC 110 with some polishing pads and see of that helps. My water us to be pristine! Now not so much.

I haven't change anything and of course when people see it there blown away by the tank but I see something else :(

I see something that needs to be fixed! It's so bad that I'm really gonna run out and grab the 110 and run it to see if it helps. I can always return it of it doesn't help.

Anybody else have these issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks

View attachment 81786

Last edited:
I have these same particles and was just thinking today I need to clean all parts of both filters (hoses and sprayer bars too). If that didn't help you, I don't think I will bother with it. These particles are very disconcerting though.

i added an aq50 to my tank and it really cleared up the particles. i highly recommened the ac.

debisbooked said:
I have these same particles and was just thinking today I need to clean all parts of both filters (hoses and sprayer bars too). If that didn't help you, I don't think I will bother with it. These particles are very disconcerting though.

I'm sorry you have the same issue but I hope you don't mind me saying I'm glad I'm not the only one. I cleaned EVERYTHING!! And it didn't help!

:(

Seriously thinking of the 110 to help with filtration. I'll run the sponge and polishing pads and maybe the carbon. That's gotta help!!

gman42 said:
i added an aq50 to my tank and it really cleared up the particles. i highly recommened the ac.

Good to hear!! I think my mind is made up! AC 110 will be added tomorrow.

Cichlid-dude said:
Cant you put polishing pads in your fx5?

Yes I can. It's a HUGE pain because they have to be changed so often. I was breaking down my fx5 literally 2-3x's a week!! Those pads fill up quick!! So maybe easier with the AC 110. Run 2 sponges and polish pads in the middle.

Yes I can. It's a HUGE pain because they have to be changed so often. I was breaking down my fx5 literally 2-3x's a week!! Those pads fill up quick!! So maybe easier with the AC 110. Run 2 sponges and polish pads in the middle.
How many fish do you have in your tank? That is a lot of filter cleaning...

Aspencer said:
How many fish do you have in your tank? That is a lot of filter cleaning...

I had a lot of fish I was overstocked with africans probably 40 in my 75g but I LOST 15 to columnaris :( :(

So now I have 25 and babies :)

You problem is wont be fixed by cleaning. You have to have a clean system for sure. I know your system is as spotless as possible. You may have 2 issues. #1 micro filtration, This can be fixed with filter floss. Looks like pillow stuffing. Get it at walmart it is very cheap. Dont bother trying to clean it just throw it away. You will need to change it weekly. #2 micro bubbles, You wont be able to fix this problem unless you have a sump with a bubble trap. It is impossible to clean enough to remove all the particles.

Jmedic25 said:
You problem is wont be fixed by cleaning. You have to have a clean system for sure. I know your system is as spotless as possible. You may have 2 issues. #1 micro filtration, This can be fixed with filter floss. Looks like pillow stuffing. Get it at walmart it is very cheap. Dont bother trying to clean it just throw it away. You will need to change it weekly. #2 micro bubbles, You wont be able to fix this problem unless you have a sump with a bubble trap. It is impossible to clean enough to remove all the particles.

Ok brother so... I know my system is very very clean now. So it's probably like you said micro bubbles. I'm not gonna do a sump yet so...

Save my money and don't add the 110? I figured if I add that and throw the filter floss in there it would easier to take out and just new ones rather then breaking down the fx5 every few days.

Your thoughts on the 110?

I dont think the 110 will hurt a thing. But I know the fx5 moves ALOT more water. Ive never seen how an FX5 breaks down tho. Is there a place in the FX5 where you can put some filter floss and not move any of your other pads? Think of filter floss as an oil filter, when its full toss it and put in a new one. It will plug up fast because of your stock level. Any filter that will catch the micro particles will plug fast tho. The pillow stuffing at walmart is so cheap it makes a good throw away micro filter. Figuring out where to put it is the question. Is there a place to put in the AC?

Jmedic25 said:
I dont think the 110 will hurt a thing. But I know the fx5 moves ALOT more water. Ive never seen how an FX5 breaks down tho. Is there a place in the FX5 where you can put some filter floss and not move any of your other pads? Think of filter floss as an oil filter, when its full toss it and put in a new one. It will plug up fast because of your stock level. Any filter that will catch the micro particles will plug fast tho. The pillow stuffing at walmart is so cheap it makes a good throw away micro filter. Figuring out where to put it is the question. Is there a place to put in the AC?

Yes I have a perfect place for the AC. And I wouldn't have to break down the fx5 every 3-4 days. It would soooo much easier just to reach back to the AC and swap out floss as many times as needed and I could also eye ball it too. Seems Like it would less of a pain if I did it that way. Was thinking just use the sponge and some floss. Not even use the bio media, don't need it.

my ac 50 removed all the particles floating in tge tank. every tank has little oxygen bubbles, but the little particles that are mot oxygen bubbles were removed with tge ac50. also you can turn the flow up, or down, which is nice durying feeding time. i love my ac filter. you could do the sponge, the bio max that comes with it, and the add some pillow stuffing which is what i did.

gman42 said:
my ac 50 removed all the particles floating in tge tank. every tank has little oxygen bubbles, but the little particles that are mot oxygen bubbles were removed with tge ac50. also you can turn the flow up, or down, which is nice durying feeding time. i love my ac filter. you could do the sponge, the bio max that comes with it, and the add some pillow stuffing which is what i did.

Yeah think I'm gonna do that an see if it helps. I can always return it even if it used. So there's really no reason not to try it.

Yes I have a perfect place for the AC. And I wouldn't have to break down the fx5 every 3-4 days. It would soooo much easier just to reach back to the AC and swap out floss as many times as needed and I could also eye ball it too. Seems Like it would less of a pain if I did it that way. Was thinking just use the sponge and some floss. Not even use the bio media, don't need it.

I like the idea..Let me know how it works. Dedicating the HOB strictly to micro filtration. I may try this myself. Like you I have a powerful filter that is overkill on its own. The hob is just for show....Let me know ASAP!!! we may have come up with a really good idea.

Jmedic25 said:
I like the idea..Let me know how it works. Dedicating the HOB strictly to micro filtration. I may try this myself. Like you I have a powerful filter that is overkill on its own. The hob is just for show....Let me know ASAP!!! we may have come up with a really good idea.

Will do. Picking it up now.

I run 2 rena xp3's on my 75 g and I alternate cleaning them, one every month, so neither goes more than 2 months before cleaning. Each has a white micro pad that I discard and change out every time I clean the filter. This pad is never very dirty though, mostly less than a 50 cent size ring in the middle. Does the filter floss do something different then this pad? Would I use the floss instead of this pad? I too do not want to mess with a sump. I don't think I am overstocked though- my fish are mostly small-8 neon tetras, 8 black skirt tetras, 8 swartz cories, and one bolivian ram plus plants, rcs, and snails. Because of nitrate issues I have cut down on feeding and been culling the mts on regular basis....

Back
Top Bottom