my baby is a year old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
ForumRunner_20130208_224354.jpg

ForumRunner_20130208_224435.jpg

The top picture is when we got her last July and the second picture was taken last week when she was digging a nest for her eggs. We love our McKayla.

ForumRunner_20130208_224942.jpg

ForumRunner_20130208_225002.jpg

These are better pictures of her year b-day? Didn't realize how bad that other one came out.

That's all she grew in a year?! I have 4 convicts all of them are same size as her already and only had them 4 months !

View attachment 150830

The top picture is when we got her last July and the second picture was taken last week when she was digging a nest for her eggs. We love our McKayla.

She's got great coloration, her stomach markings are huge! Awesome looking fish, get her a boyfriend.

That's all she grew in a year?! I have 4 convicts all of them are same size as her already and only had them 4 months !

I don't see àny issues with the rate of growth, as far as I'm concerned I prefer a slow and stready progress rather than the majority of newer aquarist who in my experience grossly over feeds their fish in hopes the fish grow quicker.

Last edited:
I def don't over feed as I know that's not good for them not sure why mine have grown faster only feed them twice a day and occasional blood worms...and yes she looks great! Good colors the females of this species are def more colorful mine are making nests too the digging up gravel everywhere lil buggers lol I love convicts so much personality in such a little fish haha

I keep trying to talk my husband into letting me get her a boyfriend but he doesn't know what we would do with the babies. Can you spay or neuter fish? :)
Her coloring is beautiful. In the morning we notice a lot of blue. She usually only eats 2 hikari sinking carnivore pellets twice a day and try to once a week give her bloodworms and spirulina? As a treat. She likes the sinking better than the floating. I clean her tank weekly. She is a trip to watch when she is getting ready to lay eggs. Very protective and darts at everything that moves by her tank. Even the pug on the couch next to her.

Great looking female.

Growth rate all comes down to many factors, water condition, diet, if there is spawning involved, tank size,

I mean lets be realistic is a female convict... She is no Oscar... 5" max full grown?

And lastly I agree she needs a man in her life! ;)

Ram897 said:

That really is a stunning convict.

I def don't over feed as I know that's not good for them not sure why mine have grown faster only feed them twice a day and occasional blood worms...and yes she looks great! Good colors the females of this species are def more colorful mine are making nests too the digging up gravel everywhere lil buggers lol I love convicts so much personality in such a little fish haha

What exactly do you feed twice a day, and how much?

We feed her one to two hikari carnivore pellets twice a day. If she doesn't want to eat, she will not come out of her cave. Once in a while we give her a mashed pea and about once a week she gets half a cube of blood worms.

Back
Top Bottom