My bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cilantro

Aquarium Advice Freak
Finally got my bolivian ram so stoked hes still kind of shy but looks awesome going to get another next week hoping to have a pair! And how can you sex them?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110826_135157.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_135157.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20110826_135215.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_135215.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20110826_135226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110826_135226.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 113
Well i think its the same way you tell gbr but not sure, the way u tell them is male has longer "spikes" on his dorcial fin then females. Also males are more colorful as with all cichlids, and the female gets a pink belly when ready to spawn. Very cute fish. Though it is juviniel so u cant really tell if girl or boy yet. Good luck!

Such a pretty looking fish. I hope you manage to end up with a breeding pair.

Depending upon the size of your tank I would get more like 6 total and let them sex themselves. Keep them happy and two will pair off and breed. I would go with 30 gallons at least - although a 40 long is really cool for Bolivians.

Thanks stug yai really hope to get a breeding pair going. And im using a 20 gallon high but transferring to a20 long in about two weeks dont really haver the space for another tank but how many do you think I can have in a20 high and howe many in a long? Could I do apair in the 20 high with some other community fish

Well i think its the same way you tell gbr but not sure, the way u tell them is male has longer "spikes" on his dorcial fin then females. Also males are more colorful as with all cichlids, and the female gets a pink belly when ready to spawn. Very cute fish. Though it is juviniel so u cant really tell if girl or boy yet. Good luck!
The Bolivian is actually different. They do not get the pink spot and the ray method is not always accurate.
The easiest way I have been able to tell is to look at the shape of the belly. The females look rounder in the belly and the males have a straight, flat belly. Look at the belly between the pectoral and anal fins. In females, it seems to slope down and in males is actually slopes up just slightly and then makes a straight line to the anal fin. Thats a rough description, but look at the bellies of a few and you will see what I mean. I will try to post pictures to help.

It is really hard to sex them when they are young, but the one in the picture appears to be female. I would need to see a full-on side shot to be sure though.

Thanks stug yai really hope to get a breeding pair going. And im using a 20 gallon high but transferring to a20 long in about two weeks dont really haver the space for another tank but how many do you think I can have in a20 high and howe many in a long? Could I do apair in the 20 high with some other community fish
Definitely yes. These guys are quite peaceful and really only have minor squabbles with each other over territories. They have been known to chase corys away from their spawning areas, but nothing serious.
In a 20 long I would only do one pair, but you could get like 4 and see who pairs off and sell the others. Almost any peaceful schoolers who stay around 2 inches would be a good choice.

I got my second one today can anyone try to sex him hes a little bigger than they other

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110829_151337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110829_151337.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 68
Ya thats what I thought ti but the guy at the lfs said he thought it was a female but I think ge is a male because of the finage but you never know

Back
Top Bottom