My cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok you want facts just for an example

Firemouth cichlid (new world)
PH 7.0 - 8.0, Temp 73-78, size 6", semi aggressive

Labido Chromis (african)
PH 7.5- 8-5, Temp 74-80, size 5", semi aggressive

Are you telling me this wouldn't work perimeters are nearly the same.

I am not seeing any facts at all from your side ever. I want to see facts on why like tempered like sized fish with similar water perimeters cant work just because they are from different part of the world.

I am telling you it goes beyond one factor alone, if you don't believe go ahead and mix them in your tank and get back to me

I am telling you it goes beyond one factor alone, if you don't believe go ahead and mix them in your tank and get back to me

First I am not personally mixing them. I gave you more than 1 factor. You said I had flawed logic and no facts. I gave you facts. Now I want to know where your facts are that new worlds and Africans can't be mixed together.

or

we can stop ripping apart everyone else who is trying it until we come up with some facts.

Sorry OP for getting off on a tangent. I think your tank is very nice looking and I wish you the best of luck.

First I am not personally mixing them. I gave you more than 1 factor. You said I had flawed logic and no facts. I gave you facts. Now I want to know where your facts are that new worlds and Africans can't be mixed together.

or

we can stop ripping apart everyone else who is trying it until we come up with some facts.

I'm not going google quick facts that come from who knows and state them for you like I knew them. I rely on my own experience and know many many people who have experience as well and things don't end well most of the time. Sure you can throw a bunch of fish in a tank and everything be fine in the first week. Get back to me in a year and show me everything is still alright.

or

Sorry OP for getting off on a tangent. I think your tank is very nice looking and I wish you the best of luck.

I think that is an unwise decision. Most of us like to keep our fish within their biotype because it looks more natural and it is more natural for the fish. Mixing SA and African cichlids would look awkward to me because the vibrancy and color patterns differ quite a bit. This is why your getting the negative feedback. Could you try it? Sure, but why risk stressing a fish and possibly having a dead one?

I'm not going google quick facts that come from who knows and state them for you like I knew them. I rely on my own experience and know many many people who have experience as well and things don't end well most of the time. Sure you can throw a bunch of fish in a tank and everything be fine in the first week. Get back to me in a year and show me everything is still alright.

If you look back through the thread I haven't insulted you once and this is the second time you have insulted me. I didn't just google facts. I actually know those facts!

I have been doing hours of research on Firemouths the past few days as I am getting a breeding pair on monday. That's why it was my first example and I had a colonies of labido chromis for a long time.

You tell me I have flawed logic and no fact yet you can't come up with any facts you supposedly know as why this cant be done. If you are going to start insulting I am done with what I thought was a friendly discussion. I was just searching for reasons why. I am done with this.

PS I never once nor ever will suggest throwing a bunch of fish in a tank that is idiotic, attack me all you want it doesn't make you right.

I had a professor once say when people run out of facts to support their argument they turn to personal attacks. Guess he was right.

I think that is an unwise decision. Most of us like to keep our fish within their biotype because it looks more natural and it is more natural for the fish. Mixing SA and African cichlids would look awkward to me because the vibrancy and color patterns differ quite a bit. This is why your getting the negative feedback. Could you try it? Sure, but why risk stressing a fish and possibly having a dead one?

I actually agree with you and I am not mixing them myself. I have a CA tank and a Malawi Tank. I don't like the look of mixing them. I am just trying to get to the bottom of this everyone says it cant be done and nobody knows why.

Never once insulted you either, I've stated my facts that I have from experience. Aggression, water parameters, diet, and other factors vary mixing worlds mostly ends bad and this why people say this.

When it comes to water parameters most of these fish we buy come from a places like Petco were its all the same and so removed from there natural home. But I feel like mixing can work with the right fish and right situation

It all depends. For instance I have a tank full of 9 rams, for most people that's a death trap. But circumstantialy I have been able to avoid any aggression issues. Each fish is different and their temperaments can depend on many factors as TCC has mentioned. I wouldn't take his comments as an insult so don't take it personally he's here to help as much as I am. But most of us as I stated dont like the idea your suggesting so in all your inquiry is not impossible, just frowned upon.

It all depends. For instance I have a tank full of 9 rams, for most people that's a death trap. But circumstantialy I have been able to avoid any aggression issues. Each fish is different and their temperaments can depend on many factors as TCC has mentioned. I wouldn't take his comments as an insult so don't take it personally he's here to help as much as I am. But most of us as I stated dont like the idea your suggesting so in all your inquiry is not impossible, just frowned upon.

I took his comments as intended at first, I thought it was a friendly debate/discussion but when TCC said I have faulty logic, accused me of not presenting facts and the biggest "I am googling my responses" I took those as insults.

I am also not suggesting for anyone to do it. I said that everyone is stating it cant and shouldn't be done with out give facts as why not. I myself am not mixing not because I don't think it van be done but because I to like to keep a natural tank.

I took his comments as intended at first, I thought it was a friendly debate/discussion but when TCC said I have faulty logic, accused me of not presenting facts and the biggest "I am googling my responses" I took those as insults.

I am also not suggesting for anyone to do it. I said that everyone is stating it cant and shouldn't be done with out give facts as why not. I myself am not mixing not because I don't think it van be done but because I to like to keep a natural tank.

Same here natural just looks so much better IMO. And it was just poor choice of words I'm sure he didn't mean it. We all get a little heated here and there, brush it off. I have not ventured into the African world yet, still admiring my dwarfs.

I'm over it. feel bad for high jacking the OP's post though.

It's arguments like this that have made members like Cbourg leave the forum. They are absolutely ridiculous. Your example of labidochromis (sp.? That's an entire genus, not one fish...I'm going to assume caeruleus) with a thorichthys Meeki is an example of two fish that won't work. Yellow labs are algae grazers in the wild, occasionally snacking on insect larvae. Firemouth are much more omnivorous, specializing in insect larvae, small crustaceans, etc. many foods with a higher protein content, especially live foods, will cause Malawi bloat in Mbuna, where as they are a staple for Meeki. There ARE facts behind it, and while certain fish can be mixed, I see it as pointless. Why not keep a fish with others that have evolved to similar water conditions from the same area? And generally, tanks with both rift lake and new worlds, most, if not all of the fish suffer from torn fins

It's arguments like this that have made members like Cbourg leave the forum. They are absolutely ridiculous. Your example of labidochromis (sp.? That's an entire genus, not one fish...I'm going to assume caeruleus) with a thorichthys Meeki is an example of two fish that won't work. Yellow labs are algae grazers in the wild, occasionally snacking on insect larvae. Firemouth are much more omnivorous, specializing in insect larvae, small crustaceans, etc. many foods with a higher protein content, especially live foods, will cause Malawi bloat in Mbuna, where as they are a staple for Meeki. There ARE facts behind it, and while certain fish can be mixed, I see it as pointless. Why not keep a fish with others that have evolved to similar water conditions from the same area? And generally, tanks with both rift lake and new worlds, most, if not all of the fish suffer from torn fins

So why are you keeping it going then ??? read my post above. At least you added some logic behind why it might not work. I may disagree but thank you for adding some FACTS.

To me, being an outsider looking in, he wasnt insulting you, nor did he say you look on google for your replies. Both of you have strong opinions and obviously want to fight your own corner. He has experience in it and experience is everything, it speaks a million words. I wanted to put my 2 cence in earlier this morning but held back not wanting to get involved. My initial reaction i deleted because it wouldnt of gone down very well.

But at the same time, i see your point of view but my instincts are of the same views of Communitycichlid.

So why are you keeping it going then ??? read my post above.

I saw your post above, but I'm giving information that has yet to be given. My point is that the argument should never have started. TheCommunityCichlid attacked noody and put his opinion out there politely. Never once did he say you googled all your information. He simply said that he wasn't.

Well If the general conses is that he wasn't insulting me I can accept that especially from an unbiased reader. So I am sorry I took it that way.

It just drives me nuts when you see from 10 people saying it cant be done and nobody explains why or how they know that. Freakgecko91 is the first person on this whole thread to give specific examples of why it shouldn't be done, Thank you again. I disagree but no need to open it up again.

The funny thing is I don't even mix my tanks as stated before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom