My cichlid tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molson_28

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had this tank for 3 maybe 4 years now. In the beginning it was a battle to get the tank to be happy and calm down. For a couple years now there has been zero aggression. Now out of nowhere the tank boss (cobalt blue zebra) and one of my Kenyi will not stop fighting. as soon as I let her lose back into the tank they go at it right away. I fear there is nothing I can do but to set up a new tank for her. I'm not giving her away and not gonna let them fight so my question is. How big of a tank do I need for just one mbuna? Any feedback would be awesome thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know much about cichlids, but maybe it's a territorial thing? Perhaps if you add more hiding places they would be less aggressive.

Ya for sure it's a Territorial thing. I think ya they for sure need more space and hiding places. I have an empty 90 gallon just sitting there In my basement. Was hoping to make that a planted tank though. They're in a 46 gallon right now. Could it be that they've just simply outgrew the tank?

Not sure your setup or what your current stock is in the tank, but a re-arrange of the aquascape can sometimes work wonders.

Takes away current territories for a period of time.

Ok I'll have to try that thank you

Why not make the 90 your cichlid tank and the 46 your planted? Easier for everyone and the cichlids will get a little too big for the 46 anyway.

How many ciclids are in the tank? Post a pic so we can see how it's layer out. I have about 25 in my 125 but there are plenty of spots to hide as I've placed about 200lbs of rock in tank

I will post a photo later. At work right now. I have 6 cichlids total in the tank. 2 Kenyi 2 cobalt blues and two yellow labs. Plus 2 fry. I have thought about making the 90 my cichlid tank how many mbuna do u think I can fit in there?

6 in a 46 isn't bad as long as you give them spots to hide. In a 90 you can get quite a few. I had 15 in my 55 gallon but it started getting cramped which is why I bumped to the 125. Africans are aggressive in nature, it's inevitable to have tension in the tank. You just need to provide areas for them to get away from each other.

Ya I didn't overstock it. I tried that to spread aggression and that did not end well. They're awesome fish because of their personality. But on the other hand the aggression is frustrating. Ah well I'll try to change up the tank maybe some new rocks and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom