My cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgansfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey cichlid lovers could anyone please take a look at my pictures of the new cichlids I got and tell me what they are the white/orange striped one is very aggressive even to the larger blk striped fish I'd like to keep it but regardless of what combination they are all fighting like crazy they are in a 30gal tank and I have another 5/10 gal? Tank that I was using to split them up. Thanx in advance for any tips or advice ]

Attachments

• image-801919275.jpg
    image-801919275.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2987258119.jpg
    image-2987258119.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2200152250.jpg
    image-2200152250.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 99
The black and white stripe looks like a tilapia butterkofferi, very mean from what I hear. The orange looks like a female red zebra and the albino looks like a male greshakei. That's why it's being so mean, it wants to breed. I don't know about the tilapia, but mbuna are harem breeders...they should be in a 1m/5+f ratio or the females can get run to death.
Good luck!

Thanx :) yeah I took the albino one out (I kinda wondered if it was male bc his behavior) then the blk/white ran the orange :/ so I put the blk/white and the albino in the smaller tank bc I heard in a small space they would calm down... The albino was still very mean so I put him back in w the orange who he is not as mean to and he's better and she seems to hold her own but he does still run her :( can they breed ? Do you think i should sell they albino and blk/white and get more docile ones to go w the orange I hate for her to be beat up :/ thanx again for your response :)!!!

You're welcome :-D

Honestly, a 30 gallon isn't much room for these guys. At least, not at the size yours looks to be. Like I said, I don't know much about the tilapia, other than I've heard they're vicious mean! As far as the mbuna go, it's best to either have one male with several females or have an all male tank. And yes, they can and will breed (just for the record, hybrids are a big no no)

I don't know anything much about them may I ask why hybrids are bad? I have out him up for sale I don't want such an aggressive boy

Oh and I was reading that you should have many cichlids together so they don't establish territories and are suppose to be less aggressive but idk if that's true I know these three do NOT go together :/

Lady Alia is spot on Morgan :) you need length in a African cichlid tank,because they will fight for territories,changing the tank round helps cichlids to stop this ?

As far as hybrids go, people (cichlid people) get very upset when they hear you've got hybrids. I've had them...heck I have some in my tanks right now, but when they hear you've bred hybrids you'll get your toosh handed to you on a platter!

Overcrowding....that's not something I personally do. The way I see it, when I'm in a huge crowd for too long I get pissy. I want out! So why put my fish in that situation when they have no way out?!? Sooo, I have a few of them in a 55g with lotsa hiding spots and tall plants they can get into. Take a look at my albums, I believe I have a full tank shot.

If I were you, and take this for what it's worth, I'd get a 55g, get rid of the tilapia, and get more female mbuna. That said, prepare yourself for hybrids lol

I believe we've just come full circle ;-)

Ohh and just from my personal experience...greshakeis make a great tank boss!

So I should maybe keep my bossy male ? He's beautiful, and VERY bold ! He's almost scary lol it's was as if he knew I was putting him back in w the orange female, he certainly has personality . I would like to keep him.... So as long as they are female you think I could put them together? He has been running the girl a bit. I want a very colorful tank thats why I was thinking to get rid of him and get more passive fish. And as far as the blk/white boy he will have to go alone or be sold he was retched to the little girl the reputation is correct! Its kind of difficult getting fish here on the island I guess I'd have to get some shopped in :/
I had the same thoughts on over crowding them, I really didn't see how MORE fish would help my tank has been in such an upheaval ! Im just very new and haven't had the resources yet to make the tank I want for my little buddy's :( I will get more hiding places and find some plants for them.

And thanx again for all the help! Also about the bossy one (I can never remember his breed name even though you've said it the whole time :/) had been a good boss a little pushy to the blk/white but after I saw how awful he treated the orange girl I can see why!!! Lol

Yeah, the greshakei male will be very aggressive in defending his territory and his fishie girlfriends!! I'd keep him but you need more girls!! He will run her to death if she's the only one.
In my personal opinion...you can put any female mbuna you want in there. But be warned again, you'll have babies! I've got yellow land, greshakei females, kenyi, maingano, blue dolphin, ob zebra, red zebras...all female. I have one large male who runs the tank and a few smaller males that wouldn't ever dream of challenging him so my tank is VERY peaceful!
Again, prepare for hybrids.
And really, you do need a longer tank. They need the swim space.

I don't mind babies there really isn't any where here on the island to buy fish I really do like the bossy little boy any way <3 I got a plecostomus? Today that seems to be doing well with them I'm looking for more females for my boy and I think I have a good home for the killer fish lol! May be trading for some babies ? I'll post pics if it works out ... To bad this forum isn't note like fb where you can friend and tag people :)

Lol I know what you mean! I had so many people wanting to friend me so try could look at my fish that I finally just made my fish folder public lol.
I have plecos in most of my tanks.
Can you order fish online maybe?

I guess I'm going to have to but again being in this island everything is way more expensive and a day late lol and it's in the fifths already ?I'd have frozen fish here before long lol I guess they could ship w heaters?

People who ship during the winter will ship with heaters. It'll cost a little extra though.
What island are you on?
And at this point we might take this to private chat. Don't wanna get off topic ;-)

Back
Top Bottom