Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

My Cichlids Are Picky Eaters! Need Advice.

Well as of right now I am going through a little spat with my aquarium. I have a good amount of amonia in my tank and I am going through the cycle and doing lots of water changes. As of right now my fish are some what sluggish and might be sick. But they seem to be getting some what better.

Well when I feed them I feed them cichlid flakes and pellets. I have (1) Convict about 3 inches long, (1) BloodMouth Parrot about 2 1/2 inches long, and (1) farely babyish Jack dempsey about 1 1/2 inches long. Now when I feed them their food the Parrot and Jack only eat when it floats infront of their face. If it goes on the gravel they just ignore and don't eat it. Then the Convict only eats the food that floats at the top of the aquarium (the pellets). The Jack trys to do the same, but the convict chases after him. The parrot doesn't bother floating to the top and getting any of the pellets.

So I am unsure on what food I should feed them? And what type of cichlid food is the best? Thxs in advance!

J

Old 09-21-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to AA, J-Aqua!
Variety is best. Many members like the New Life Spectrum line, but you will still end up with a mix of floating and sinking. Try fresh veggies too (there's an article in the articles section). Do not over compensate by feeding extra food, this will contribute to the ammonia problem.
What size tank is this?

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
Big thing for right now since you are right in the beginning of a cycle with fish is not to feed too often. More waste = more ammonia.

Either a very small amount daily or every other day is all you should feed. If you see them not eating something make sure you remove it before it sits too long.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

in my Malawi Tank i feed...
Frozen Peas (boiled and skins removed): Twice a week
New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula: 3 Days a week
Tetra Cichlid Mini Granules: Once a week
Wadleys Essential Cichlid Flakes: Once a week

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, eat, eater, ich, ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com