My discus laid eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hondatek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Omg I was taking pics of my two discus I thought might be a pair and I see eggs. What do I do now I never had eggs before

Hondatek said:
Omg I was taking pics of my two discus I thought might be a pair and I see eggs. What do I do now I never had eggs before

Watch them and hope the eggs don't get eaten. Lol.

Lol yea I hope that doesnt happen. I'm on the way to the lfs for a divider so I can separate the others from the parents

Hondatek said:
Lol yea I hope that doesnt happen. I'm on the way to the lfs for a divider so I can separate the others from the parents

Sounds good. Just for grins, what other fish are in there?

Congrats Hondatek!
Just curious but do you know your TDS? Eggs have a hard time hatching in water with a high TDS.

Dennis

It's a 75 and the guy at the lfs said the same thing . He basically asked if the parents are protective and they are extremely so he said I should worry about a divider as it would stress. And not sure what tds is sorry

You might just get some fry with a TDS of 75. My TDS is around 60 and I had a pretty good hatch rate.
TDS is the minerals and salt & such that is dissolved in the water.
And someimes it takes Discus a few spawns before getting it "right". Although sometimes they get it right the first time.
But you'll definately need to get a divider or if you have the space & money.....a breeder tank of 20, 25 or 29 gallon's would work.

Goodluck with new Discus pair!
Dennis

Ok how do I measure tds? It's the first spawn so I have my fingers crossed but I'm going to get my 45 ready so I can separate them before they spawn again.

Ok how do I measure tds? It's the first spawn so I have my fingers crossed but I'm going to get my 45 ready so I can separate them before they spawn again.

Ooops....I see that 75 was your tank size.
The only way to get a TDS reading is to use a handheld TDS meter.
I would just wait & be patient. And see if the eggs hatch.
Get that 45 gallon ready. A young pair can spawn every 7-10 days

Dennis

Well got home from work today. Unfortunately there are no eggs anymore and no fry either . I wish I was home to see if they ate the babies or something . Is moving them still suggested or should I see of they spawn again first?

Back
Top Bottom