My dominant male yellow lab behavior change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
90 gallons with 25 total fish.

25 mbuna's in a 90gal; I think that is a good quantity of fish and not a lightly stocked mbuna tank. Adding more is an option but shouldn't be necessary unless you're adding more female yellow labs.

The yellow lab is likely a male attaining maturity exhibiting conspecific territoriality as well as communicating its dominance over all others of its kind.

Chasing is all part of normal mbuna behavior. It's when the fish being pursued is singled out, pursued all over the tank and/or is physically brutalized (nipped caudal fin, body scrapes, etc) that there is a serious problem. From the sound of it he's chasing any yellow lab, not a particular one.

In time the other male, as it mature's, may begin effectively defending itelf, or the dominant male, confident in its established status, may shift to breeding-mode with the females.

EDIT:
..My other yellow labs are all in hiding, behind a heater, one is behind the filter intake, one hiding in a plant and the other is hiding behind my magnet cleaner....

What's your rock-scaping like? The area's that their taking refuge in kind of indicates inadequate rock cover.

Ok he's definitely not singling any one out, I watched him chase each of the other labs and no other fish. I have a bunch of stacked rock creating caves on one side of the tank. In the middle I have a large piece of driftwood. I had more roc on the left side but I took it out when I did my pwc and didn't put it back because I have an order of 15 cichlid stones on the way that I'm gonna put there instead.

Jason, you think I'm under stocked too? I have heard both that I'm under stocked needing another 10 fish or so and also that I'm perfectly stocked!

UGH!

Jmedic,
I started looking for canister filters on Craigslist. Once I upgrade I plan to add to my stock. My question though, if I add more females, will I be good with the 2 males or should I rehome one of them?

And yes, thank you for ALL of your help!

It just depends brother. With Mbuna you can set the stage as best you can. Then watch the show. I will say that usually you can have a few males as long as there are enough females. I have followed all the rules un my tank and I still had a fish singled out. I guess it just happens. So i cant really answer your question fully. But you should be ok.

...I have heard both that I'm under stocked needing another 10 fish or so and also that I'm perfectly stocked!...

The lack of rocks and female yellow labs are the primary contributors to the issue. If you were understocked 'singling out' would be occuring and the more aggressive species would be displaying most of the aggression.

I'm not familiar with 'cichlid rock', but if more cover and females are added (going from 2m/3f to 2m/5-6f) will solve the yellow lab issue.

Cichlid stones are ceramic rock-like caves. They have an opening so the fish can enter the cave and they can be stacked. In the tank they look a lot like rocks, very natural.

So if I have 2M / 3F I need to add another 3 or 4 F?

So if I have 2M / 3F I need to add another 3 or 4 F?

Yes, you can add a few 3-4 female labs, it should solve the problem with the dominant male. Gender determination with this species can be somewhat challenging, though, if the new one's aren't vented or are small juvies.

kay-bee19 said:
Yes, you can add a few 3-4 female labs, it should solve the problem with the dominant male. Gender determination with this species can be somewhat challenging, though, if the new one's aren't vented or are small juvies.

A guy on Craigslist is thinning his tank of yellow labs so I'm getting some of them in a trade for a small filter. He said I can come and vent them myself. All I do is net the fish and look for Oo right? oo would be make and Oo female?

If nothing works try re-arranging his claimed territory. If I ever notice one doing that, I change his cave or move it. This works for a week or 2. Not usually the yellows doing it though. I also rearrange things when new fish are added.

Back
Top Bottom