My dwarf cichlid updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCommunityCichlid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought I would make a thread updating on my dwarfs. I haven't uploaded all that much but I currently have ram fry in a tank, that I successfully artificially hatched. It's my rams second spawn ever and they are still tiny. The first time I lost all the eggs to molding. Second time I added methlyene blue and now have over 70 little rams. Also I have apistogramma cacatuoides triple red with eggs for her second time. The first time she decided to gobble them down on day two. Less than a month later new eggs and more experience on her part and she should be just fine this time round. Now some pictures.

Gold ram (look at those fins and colors)

image-2634387444.jpg

Electric blue male

image-1370094463.jpg

Male apistogramma cacatuoides

image-3643329366.jpg

Female apisto in her egg lair

image-2731513405.jpg

Male Blue Ram

image-490942421.jpg

Little Ram fry.

image-2438616026.jpg

Kribensis from my first surviving batch of fry

image-2184451914.jpg

They are really nice :) I think I will have to get some myself. More tanks needed! What size do you keep them in? Do you keep the apistos with your rams? At one of my lfs they had electric blue rams but they were balloon rams. I don't like this mutation. Ruins the look of these beautiful fish. Do you use anything in your filter media to lower the ph value? Years ago when I had angels I used peat moss wrapped in a stocking. I used this in my canister filter and it seemed to work quite well. I would love to hear how your apisto girl does this time round. Fins crossed :-D

They are really nice :) I think I will have to get some myself. More tanks needed! What size do you keep them in? Do you keep the apistos with your rams? At one of my lfs they had electric blue rams but they were balloon rams. I don't like this mutation. Ruins the look of these beautiful fish. Do you use anything in your filter media to lower the ph value? Years ago when I had angels I used peat moss wrapped in a stocking. I used this in my canister filter and it seemed to work quite well. I would love to hear how your apisto girl does this time round. Fins crossed :-D

They are awesome fish. I keep my rams and apistos seperate. I remove the ram eggs and let the apistos parent the eggs. I don't do anything to my water. Sometimes I will do a water change with distiller water to bring my hardness down. Otherwise they have no problem breeding in my liquid concrete and ph 7.0. Rams and many other dwarfs are misunderstood they are actually very hardy and adaptable fish.

That's good to hear :) Well, I am very tempted to set a tank up in my bedroom. Saw some long-finned gold rams today. Pretty disappointed with this particular lfs's selections. No other dwarf cichlids. The majority of cichlids were Africans. Hundreds of them. They had a few red devils which looked more like pale yellow devils. When I set up my tank I will go to my more reliable lfs. They can do special orders.

The first pictures a gold long fin. I've got long fin electric blues I'm gonna buy soon. A month or so and they should be ready

****, I want a ram tank now, I might run down to petco and get a 40g just for them.

Back
Top Bottom