My female GBR passed on today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female passed away today. Came home from work and she was floating. It must have been just recent, as she hadn't started getting all yukky looking yet. I was really hoping she's have the strength to pull through, but she didn't. And it was just a small nick too. Then it just got bigger and bigger, just rotting away. I didn't have any other meds other than the Pimafix and Melafix, which I was dosing. But just wasn't enough. She was my baby too. Probably the coolest fish I ever had. She always enjoyed watching me prune the plants, do maintenance, and just wanted to be a friend. None of the other GBR's are like that, not even the baby boy. But anyways, been a hard day. But tomorrow I get my shipment of new fish. Got the confirmation. So hopefully I'll get one just like her. She was the best.....

So others that don't know the story, she had a small nick that one of the other fish gave her. Wasn't very big. So I started treating her, but as some know, when GBR's get hurt, or sick, it's not often they come back. They are one of the very few fish that requires a lot to maintain, but when something goes wrong, they just don't make it. When they have a problem, they just fade away. Kind of hard when it's one of your favorites. But I got more coming, 7 females and 3 males. Ordered from Aquabid.

75g386.jpg

Sorry to hear that, it is always hard when your favorites go to the big fish bowl in the sky.

Big Time Bummer! If she is one that you have babies from hopefully one or more will like to watch you prune and become hand chasing favorites.

I'm sorry for your loss. It must be hard losing your favorite especially after doing all you can to try to save her. :( As you said though, maybe you'll get another special one out of the next batch.

Awww Wolf so sorry she passed. I know you did the best for her and she did have a wonderful home with you.

im so sorry lonebluewolf.
i hope you get another one just like her.
feel better.
im treating my favorite discus for everything and he/she just keeps getting worse.
so i kinda know how hard it is for fighting for a fish and not have the right meds and stuff to treat.

fish_4_all said:
Big Time Bummer! If she is one that you have babies from hopefully one or more will like to watch you prune and become hand chasing favorites.

Yes, she was the mommy for the fry I have. I have 10 total, and 5 are GBR. They are so cool to watch as they grow. :)

Very Sorry LWB. I am sure you did your best. I have read many of your threads and commend you on your fishkeeping so I know you did!

You are an asset to AA. Also, thaks for your step by step with the planted!

Lonewolfblue
I'm so sorry to hear you lost little blue. I know how much you loved her.
Hopefully one of her kids will have her disposition and love of watching you... As we all know you love to watch them. It goes both ways you know.
RIP Little Blue!

Hey Jeff, I got your Im offline yesterday, I was having huge computer melt down around that tie. LOL Sorry to hear about the little female.Hopfully the fry will house a new female to replace her. Also can't wait to see some pictures of the new ones.

Sorry to hear about your female LWB. If you think about it, it's almost similar to "Charlotte's Web". The mother leaves behind a brood allowing her memory to last. I am very sure she enjoyed her time with you.

Sorry to hear that, but yeah, they are a beautiful, yet delicate, fish.

I hope your new shipment contains her twin.

I'm impressed with the sucess some of the members here have had with this sensitive species (or domestic variant as GBR), its a difficult task to keep up with maintance not to mention making the correct filtration and general tank layout approparate for them.
Your work trying to save this fish is noble and I hope you have better luck if your other specimines ever have an injury.
All in all Good Work and sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the support everyone. It was a tough one to lose. But life goes on. So far, with the new fish, they are pretty cool. And some very small, lol. This is going to be fun seeing how it plays out. The other male still seems to be looking for his mate, but has also taken an interest in the new fish as well. So hopefully he'll make a full recovery. If I would have put in just 1 or 2, he may still be going downhill, but with all the new guys and gals I added, he's getting out more now. And I'm glad I got them when I did, or I could have possibly had 1 more casualty. And yes, saying they are delicate is an understatement, lol. So much can go wrong so quick with them. But hopefully now with 7 complete pairs, things will progress forward. Again, thanks for all your support. (y)

Edit:
Well, something interesting just occurred. One of the new females was fending off one of the new males, and as she was doing so, the male from my previous female came out from behind the rock cave. Guess he's found a new mate. And so quickly, lol. She's got a little belly on her too, so she could actually be ready to lay some eggs. We'll see. Actually, 3 of the females have kind of big tummies, so we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom