my first cichlid tank need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anikonslr

Aquarium Advice Regular
this is my first malawi cichlid tank and am looking for some advise on a couple of things. i have a 120 gal tank its 60"L x 25"H x 18"D. going to use a ca1000 canister filter, a ca-900 power head, and a m300 heater. going to go and pick up a bunch of lace rock tommorow. trying to decide what to use for the substrate though, sand or gravel. not sure which is better for the fish. i have never used sand in a tank before so not sure how complicated it makes the cleaning process. i also need some help deciding what kind of light and how much to put in it. i am making a wood canopy for the tank so i have plenty of options for the lighting just not sure how much or what kind. i dont think that i have forgot anything else, if i have please let me know.

Malawi cichlid are cool cichlids. I love them. And yup u hav a great tank size to. A 120g means a bigger one. Sand and gravel both are good for ur substrate.but max of african species love sand as their substrate. Beside this sand give a very natural look,which is cool too.but remember u have stirr the sand occationally so that no gas can form under it.u can vaccum all the waste easily coz in sand waste never get a chance to go under it.it just stays on the sand surface.another advantage in sand u can have plant in ur tank. U hav a wooden canopy that is another great thing. in case of lighting I'll say T5 lighting and fittings are grt.now a days underwater lights are also available,but I never use them,so just can't say bout it U can add a nice background too which makes ur tank look much beautiful.hope this help...

anikonslr said:
i will do that for sure, was going to use some pool sand. thought that it would be a little cleaner to use.

Yes it might be but what I do is a quarter fill a bucket with sand.Fill to 3/4 with water and swish around the sand.Pour out the water and repeat until the water remains clear.This will save your filter some hard work and your tank will settle much quicker.It took me hours to clean mine but it was worth every minute.I would also suggest doing this outside and not in the bath or sink as you could block up the pipes.
Hope this helps and enjoy your tank :)

U r most welcome aniconslr. Wish to see ur tank pics after ur done. Best of luck

filter

ok guys i have the sand and lace rocks in the tank now what do i need for media in my canister i have 4 baskets in it and am not sure what type of media to put in it.

As a media u can choose bio-balls, activated carbon, sponge. The thing is u hav 4 baskets. U can use sponge in 2 layers. In bottom and in above. Wil work fine.

can you have live plants in there with them too or just fake plants. if you can do you need extra light or anything special.

The only plants that will really last is Anubias and amazon sword, anything else gets torn apart or up rooted in my experience. Both of those plants are pretty hardy and they are mid to low light plants so you shouldn't really need any extra lighting but it all depends on the lighting you have.

I just have the stock lights and grow anubias in my Malawi tank. A word of advice, make sure your rocks are in the sand really good or else a fish could dig under them and have it fall on them.

I just have the stock lights and grow anubias in my Malawi tank. A word of advice, make sure your rocks are in the sand really good or else a fish could dig under them and have it fall on them.

i made sure they are all buried in the sand real well and put down eggcrate under the sand to help prevent falls.

Glueing your plants to rocks works the best. He roots eventually grow onto it and give an amazing natural look. Java ferns work too. No one touches mine.

Back
Top Bottom