Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My fish are fighting

The issue is with a new entry getting chased around....

I have a Red Peacock cichlid that's chasing around a new Red Star Flower Horn I got. The peacock is actually somewhat smaller, but much more aggressive. I had not noticed till I looked up close, but looks like he's been getting his tail. Here they are together. They look SO much better than this, but hard to get a photo through glass (for me anyway!).

The weird part? I have a Demasoni who keeps to himself, but won't take no crap from the Peacocks either. He seems to come up every now and again to protect the new entry and chases off the peacock.

The peacock has plenty of hiding places, and uses them, but will leave them anyway to go after the new guy for the hell of it. The new guy isn't very bright. He'll go into the cave and behind a plant, but likes to roam around the tank at about the midway height, which seems to attract the peacock.

Do you think adding some taller fake plants might help?

-Jim

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Erm.. Hmm..

If you asked ME, your flowerhorn isnt a flowerhorn, its an electric blue acara. Peacock looks like a jacobfreibergi variant. And the demasoni resembles a kenyi or hybrid of sorts. Tall fake plants will help break up the line of sight and may deter aggression a little but won't change too much

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see no flower horn in the 1st picture. I do see what looks like a electric blue acara that has no business in an African tank.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here are some IDs for you

My demasoni
Attachment 271417
My Jacobfreibergi
Attachment 271418
TRMC's Flowerhorn
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430512761.849971.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	271419
Random Electric blue acara from google
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430512828.301564.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	271420

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 05-01-2015, 04:50 PM   #5

Ah crap, you guys are correct, the images I looked up under Google, and that's exactly my guy. And I still have the receipt, and it's labeled as the red star flower horn - which explains why I never found pictures looking like my fish!!

Should I bring him back and have them put him back in their tank so he doesn't get killed? I don't mind that they overcharged me (another story), but I don't want him to get killed.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #6

I definitely have 2 Peacocks.
I am certain the other is an electric blue acara

Was I also mislead with the "demasoni"? Is he actually something else?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrsfan View Post
Ah crap, you guys are correct, the images I looked up under Google, and that's exactly my guy. And I still have the receipt, and it's labeled as the red star flower horn - which explains why I never found pictures looking like my fish!!

Should I bring him back and have them put him back in their tank so he doesn't get killed? I don't mind that they overcharged me (another story), but I don't want him to get killed.
I would. Also putting a flowerhorn in with your stock would be bad the other way. It would eventually kill your Africans. They really need to be wet pets.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
I would. Also putting a flowerhorn in with your stock would be bad the other way. It would eventually kill your Africans. They really need to be wet pets.
Gonna do so. Shame, I liked him.

I should have learned much more about the fish I wanted to buy, instead of just picking out the cool looking one.

I'll make sure I stay with the Africans, and do more research before I add anyone else to the tank.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrsfan View Post
Gonna do so. Shame, I liked him.

I should have learned much more about the fish I wanted to buy, instead of just picking out the cool looking one.

I'll make sure I stay with the Africans, and do more research before I add anyone else to the tank.

Thanks!
You can always go look and wright down what you like and come on here. Some one will help out if you cant find the info you need. Its awesome that you want to do the right thing!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem691 View Post
You can always go look and wright down what you like and come on here. Some one will help out if you cant find the info you need. Its awesome that you want to do the right thing!
Yeah, I originally had a pair of convicts. Always loved them but didn't know much about them - until now. They were fine together with the peacocks and that's how I intended to leave it. Then they started hiding in the big cave I had bought. Then they stopped coming out. One would come out mainly. I thought the other was sick, but it came out every now and again, but his buddy would then stay in there. I'm sure all of you reading are laughing at the fact that this STILL didn't clue me in.

Wasn't until I put my reading glasses on that I noticed - what looked like some left over food floating around inside there. Then I looked closer, and ****, babies! About 50 of them!! I thought it funny, until the parents turned into little demons from hell that would die before letting anything near their babies! Even the peacocks were scared and just kind of clung to the glass at one side of the tank.

Anyway, rather than use the siphon which my better half suggested, I just advertised in craigslist and someone came and took everything for free. At least I think so. **** things were so small it's hard to tell if I got them all.

I heard they breed like rabbits and will just continue like that. Would be cool if they were actually worth something, but even 3 pet stores near me wouldn't take them for free!! But I couldn't kill the little guys, was too cool watching them stick near their parents when they moved around.

Tags
fight, fighting, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com