my fish may have parasites?Can anyone help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allykayne_

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I have four fish in my tank and I have been noticing them rubbing against objects and on a couple of the lighter coloured ones I can see tiny little black specks it looks like they are sprinkled with fine dirt almost ... One of them has what looks like a blood blister on his lip their fins are a little shaggy in places and the little black specks build up around their mouths I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's wrong with them I don't know a lot about this type of thing as these fish were given to me unwanted and against my will but I have become very attached to these little guys and I just want to know what to look for what to do and any advice welcome I can post photos if needed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You test your water? How old the tank? Who's in it? Tell us everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok I only have a ph test thing and my ph levels are high I've had the tank for about about 4 months maybe 5 i have an oscar and im not exactly sure on the other 3 but i think i have a Pseudotropheus elongatus and 2 yello tailed acies... I do a 25% water change once a week and a gravel vaccume when it looks dirty

Sent from my iPhone usin

Hmm, you'll really need to test the water, sounds like it could be ammonia burns, especially the blister by gills.. I'd recommend doing a few 30-40% wc's and testing your water, if the results come back clear than look into a medical treatment perhaps..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had that issue with newly running tanks. Ammonia burns are most likely the cause!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You are going to have a hard time keeping the water good with 3 Africans and an OSCAR in 40 gallons of water. I would move the Oscar to at least a 55 gallon by him self.

Definitely not a good mix, not only because of size but comparability, put them in a 40 gallon and you're asking for trouble further down the road.
The rubbing part... Could be a parasite? Sometimes I've gotten that in newly acquired fish. Not sure it would all relate to ammonia burn, unless your tank is in such poor condition where ammonia has risen but not knowing some history is hard to tell.
Was your tank cycled?
What filtration are you using?
Temp?

Most of the issues you've described indicate poor water conditions or a disease from a new fish in the tank. In any case the best thing you can do at this point is to do partial water changes daily or every other day adding treated/dechlorinated water. Vacuum the gravel very well, those fish are big eaters and big poopers. Raise the temp about 84f.
Give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Its probably ick... my convict was rubbing its body on the gravel and the filter and it turned out he had ick (white spot).. I have already lost two fish

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom