My gbrs have ich. What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah before switching to Paraguard, I tried the salt+heat for my Rams and my Central Americans. After a week and a half I thought I was good, but sure enough, about 1-2 weeks later it came back tougher than before, that's when I switched.

Treating Ich on GBR

I also had a bout of Ich after purchasing a few tetras from the pet store but with German Blue Ram's it is fairly easy to treat. Everybody has there own way of treating Ich but I really didn't want to put any chemicals/medicine in that wasn't absolutely needed. Ich won't survive above around 85 degrees and German Blue Rams can tolerate (mine even seemed to enjoy it) temperatures into the high 80's so I just raised the temperature to about 87 for almost 2 weeks. My fish looked clear in 4 days but left the temperature at 87 for an additional week. By raising the temperature, the life cycle does speed up so it will go a little quicker and while doing this you must do water changes to suck up all the dead and dying little guys from the gravel. Also, the warmer the temperature the less oxygen is in the water so a little aeration never hurts. I've read that a lot of people also use salt with this but I did not as I wasn't sure how it would affect my plants and it worked for me. I Currently have 2 breeding pairs of Electric Blue Rams, 2 breeding pair of Gold Rams, a breeding pair of German Blue Rams and a tank with dwarf shrimp that also houses the fry.

Our poor little Eric started showing signs of ich again yesterday along with one of the guppies I rescued. I removed them both and gave them a salt bath. I decided to do about an 80% water change with the vacuum. After doing the water change I removed the carbon and treated the tank with the ick guard 2. And put the GBR and the guppy back in. Today he is looking awful. Extremely pale, clamped fins, lying on his side. I just took him out and put him in some more salt. He isn't lying on his side any more and his side fin is no longer clamped. Is there any hope for him? We will be so sad if he doesn't survive :(

I just beat the parasite yesterday with sea salt and crank heat and partial water changes and still treating now till mon to fully rid of them worked great meds are bad and stresses the fish js worked great with just salt and heat raised

I did the salt and heat method for two weeks and then it came back within a few days so I would be careful. Just saying

Still treating mine... Its taken 2 weeks. I put salt in last week and have been treating for 2 weeks. Temps at 82, im gonna raise it to 86 now

I'm just in the process of raising the temp for mine. Only showing on both my Pictus so far but I'm so worried about all of them as they all seem a little dim in colouration . :( Did a 50% water change today just before I noticed.

So... my GBR flashed once yesterday, but no visible signs or other behavioural signs of ich, should i be worried at all? none of the other fish (DG and Platy) have done this yet.

They kinda like, quickly rub their body or side against the substrate. It says online that there are multiple reasons why. (ie. clearing gills, ich, parasites, to much slime coat, showing off to the other fish)

sorry for your loss, rip :(
Thank you. We will miss the little guy.

Does anyone know what the chances are of our female pairing up of we decide to get another male? I don't want her to be miserable without a mate

Thank you. We will miss the little guy. Does anyone know what the chances are of our female pairing up of we decide to get another male? I don't want her to be miserable without a mate
I've heard the chances a pretty good. Maybe google somewhat?

Back
Top Bottom