My gbrs have ich. What now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callylynn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Woke up this morning to notice my GBRs look like someone sprinkled them in salt. What now? Never dealt with this before

Woke up this morning to notice my GBRs look like someone sprinkled them in salt. What now? Never dealt with this before
I think alot of LFS sell ich treatments, check your parameters, feed normally, and pray for the best but defs. get them some medication! Goodluck! At least you caught it early! :dance:

Okay thanks! I want to try the salt and heat method, but went ahead and bought some ich guard too just in case I need it. I'm worried about my ADFs though. Has anyone ever used salt to treat with ADFs in the tank??

I've read several conflicting articles about the tolerance of salt in ADFs. I added the salt and I am slowly cranking up my heater. I sure hope they don't die. I think moving them to another tank for a week and moving them back might be more stressful than a little salt. Guess we will see

I've used the heat method and also meds. Both have worked in the past. Up to you which you use. Good luck!

My GBRs are looking so much better today. I added salt and the temp is up to 88. I added a bubble wand for extra aeration. Everyone seems happy. They still have a few visible spots but the majority of them are gone. Yay!

I believe my male GBR, Eric, has taken a turn for the worse. He is just covered in spots :( I feel so sorry for the little guy. I'm thinking of moving my frogs to my 10 gallon tomorrow and treating the tank with ick guard 2. I have been using the salt and heat method since Friday. Should he be showing signs of improvement by now? Or am I just seeing their life cycle being sped up and they will fall off soon? I don't want to use the meds unless absolutely necessary. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help! Thanks!

Do you and your GBR a favor and get Rid Ich + it will save him I've used it twice for rams and with success

He was looking a little better this morning. I added a bit more salt to the tank last night. If he is not looking better after work I'm going to move my ADFs to my ten gallon and treat the GBRs. I'm sure hoping he looks better. I'm trying to go as natural as possible

Rid Ich Plus is what I've used and had good results (y) Heat/Salt method works but not as fast as Rid Ich Plus in my experience.

I did a 50% water change and added more salt than I had been yesterday. I also added water that was slightly warmer than it has been. He looks much better today! The spots are almost gone, but he is still breathing really heavy. I'm hoping we are on the down hill side of this battle

Eric has made a miraculous recovery!!! All of his spots are gone today and he is interacting with Ariel (our female GBR) again today. So glad he pulled through. It wasn't looking good the last few days. How long should I keep the temp up and salt in the water now that the spots are gone?

I was scared to medicate because of my african dwarf frogs. So far the heat and salt has worked. I'm going to keep at it for a few more days and then slowly start lowering the temp and adding unsalted water

I had ich in my 20g when i bought some neon tetras, i treated with salt,meds, and heat at 84 for a week and thought it was done. It came back after 2 weeks and its kicking my butt! I think ive got it under control but am still dosing and have had the temp at 84 for about a month now. Cant add salt anymore because i have 3 kuhli loaches in the tank. Hopefully it will leave but its nothing to stress over... Havent lost anyone from it yet and all are active and eating :).

Eric has made a miraculous recovery!!! All of his spots are gone today and he is interacting with Ariel (our female GBR) again today. So glad he pulled through. It wasn't looking good the last few days. How long should I keep the temp up and salt in the water now that the spots are gone?

Do a water change every other day to collect any cysts that broke off, thats why he lost the dots, they fell onto the substrate and once they pop thousands of little ichs will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom