My kribensis will not eat!! Very worried!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james83

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi, I bought a pair of kribs last week. I have fed them everything from flakes, to frozen brine shrimp, to algae wafers, to pellets. they just ignore the food at feeding time letting the food fall to the bottom. its gotten to the point where im just gonna give up trying to feed them, cuz im just polluting my water trying to feed them now, they are the only fish in a 35 gallon tank. a male/female pair. its gotten to the point if they want to eat they can just pick food off the bottom they have ignored. if they are hungry enough im sure they will eat off the bottom. the pair always hides all day long in there "cave". (a broken in half clay pot half wedged in the gravel to make a cave) I know they r cave spawners. and im sure they will be eggs very soon. I know they have paired up because when I first bought them at my LFS and put them in there own 35 gallon tank together they HATED each other. the male wud drive the female away from the cave if she got near sometimes hard. now the male lets the female with him in the cave. and they follow each other everywhere. problem is u wud think they get hungry??? lol?. but when u feed them they ignore all food to the point your water gets polluted because they don't eat what u give them. But they must be getting some food, maybe at night when its dark because they r still alive lol. im at a loss. if they do start to eat in my sight what should I be feeding them??? would pellets be ok? what diameter...1mm sinking??? any tips and suggestions would be helpful. the water temp is 77-79F. ammonia/nitrites 0. tank lit by a clamp on desk lamp 13W household CFL warm white. maybe the kribs don't like lights on in there tank? maybe they eat better in a dimly lit tank? why wont they eat??? don't they get hungry? because I am trying my best to give them food and if they wont eat it when they r offered it should I just say hell with it and if they r hungry they will find the food on the bottom of the tank they ignored all day every day?

Your kribs are still new, give them time to adjust to the aquarium. In the meanwhile feed them twice a day. They might ignore the food for a while till they become adjusted to the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom