My Kribs have babies - now with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeevster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to this and only started my tank 1 1/2 months ago, ... well my wife got a pair (both female) of kribs (gift from friend) about 2 1/2 weeks ago. one was slightly smaller than the other. about a 1 1/2 weeks ago I got a male (a bit larger than the females), and the larger female paired up with the male .... about 5 days ago they started hanging out near this cave and chasing all the other fish away. just yesterday night I noticed dozens of little kribs coming out of the cave .. and the parents were on high alert .

my questions are
1. should I take the other female out (she is kind of being picked on by the male - always hiding) ?

2. what should I feed the babies ?

3. should I be doing anything special ?

my tank - 155 L (50 G)

It is a good idea to remove the male and u will have a higher fry survival rate.

Try Crushed Up Flakes or Buy a First bites fishffod.

Just watch and wait.

Congrats on the krib fry!

Kepe in mind this is

JMHO

Do not remove the male, but remove the other female. She will end up getting hurt if you don't.

The male and female are very protective over their offspring and will guard them together.

If you have any live plants in your tank, the fry will eat a lot of the organisms off the plant and you can feed them crushed flakes. Just feed them with a turkey baster to make sure they get the food. Be sure to crush all the foods into a fine powder for them.

Congrats on the fry. I am so envious!!

Thanks fishlover & fawn .. me & my wife are very excited.. cant wait to get back home from work

I'm trying to catch female but she is very quick and there are lots of nooks and craneys in my tank, plus I dont have a proper net (DIY net - not very good)

will go get a new net today (late night shopping today)

I was watching the 2 parents yesterday - and both had a keen eye on the fry - when a couple wonder off slightly the father / mother would go and get them in the mouth and spit them back close to the cave.

mmm .. mesa dont have a turkey blaster would have to find a alternative - but I get the picture.

how often do they bread ? cause I read some where that they will be at it again in a couple of weeks time ? if so my tank is gonna get crowded pretty fast ....

also I was thinking of getting a couple of ottos or a pleco .. should I wait until the fry get big before I get them, ?.. currently I do have 4 cory's

They won't breed again until you remove the current batch. It's amazing that they know they are already parents and they don't want anymore kids. They are smarter then some people I know. oooooops, did I say that out loud. :wink:

I would definitely wait to get any other fish with the fry around. The kribs can get very mean protecting the offspring and could cause some serious damage to your other fish.

Besides, you will have tons of kribs soon.

I personally wouldn't move them for at least 3 months, depending on how they grow. It's a good learning experience for your kribs too, on how to be a parent. To insure they grow properly, feed often and be sure to keep up with your weekly water changes. The crushed foods tend to foul up your water faster.

Your actually fortunate, because I can't stop mine from eating their spawn.

Good Job!

Thanks again Fawn, I tried to take a pic yesterday .. didnt come out well will try again toinight and post them if I can.

I hope mine dont start eating the fry ....

Well, don't get discouraged if they do. If it happens, at least you know they can and will spawn. That's what is keeping me going. :D

Can't wait to see pics!

I'd like to see pics too. I'm wanting to get a pair of Kribs. Do you think you would have gotten a pair without having two females in the tank?

Feynman - my wife initially got the 2 females as a gift from a friend - then I didnt even know what fish they were ... after awhile the slightly larger female started to pick on the smaller ... looked around for 2 males .. but was unable to find any(all of the lfs had only females - and the males I found were VERY old ) .. in the end I spotted one at a lfs .. asked the shop dude to confirm it was a male and got it ... with in 1 week of getting the male I think they mated ...

I think u will have a better chance of them pairing off if u have 2 females (personnel opinion ..) .. also personnel experience .. trying to sex them when they are small is very hard ... and I really didnt want to get a VERY OLD one... : D

but if your lfs has a big collection watching them for awhile .. u can pick up a pair ...

I would like to see pictures too..so keep trying to get one to turn out if you can. I think its very cool.

By letting them pair off by themselves, your chances of a spawning is very good, versus you picking a male and female.

Wow nice job with the spawn...your water levels must be good :)

I was considering Kribs for my new 40g but I do not want agression as I want a community tank.

Good luck! Please post pics!!

Here are the pics .. not the best ... look very carefully :D
yesterday .. the parent took the fry for a walk around the tank ... it was so funny / nice to watch .. the other fish were having a tough time for about 1 hour .. while they were on the tour.

Those pictures are awesome. I can see the fry. How truly exciting!!! BTW, that is a very nice looking male you have!

Good JOB!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom