My last Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a shot of the tank, taken about a month ago...

Attachments

• fromunder.jpg
    fromunder.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 76
Are there hongis in there too because I think I see one near the bottom? The one with the orangish fins. Nice tank btw (y)

Thanks guys, I like this tank too. I put some fake silk plants in there and a little chunk of dark stump wood... not really into the fake plants, but these actually look good, plus these guys even ate the "famously unedible" Anubias I have in there..

And I'm not sure, but I think that one is a Greshakei on the bottom, I had Hongis in my 55 Gal and they didn't look like him... A dominant adult male Hongi is really super purple, and they have yellow heads, yellow dorsals and very dark bars on their sides.

Ok, jw. I'm thinking about getting hongis as my last species, if I ever get to the lfs to special order them lol.

If this photo isn't enough to make you want Lab. Hongi, I don't know what else would... the ones I had got killed, they were very small compared to the rest of my fish and yet within hours of being put in the tank one little male colored up DRAMATICALLY, got his dominance on at like an inch and a half long... they just didn't make it for whatever reason. Sad... Females aren't all that though...

http://www.freewebs.com/malawimoon/Hongi.jpg

What happens if you get multiple male hongis, like, how bad are the fights? I doubt special ordering involves sexing at my lfs. Beautiful fish btw.

Dude, all I can say is that it's just luck of the draw, like with any other cichlid out there. You just never know what can happen (except when you have convicts, in which case you KNOW whats gonna happen!).

That being said, I feel the first line of defense against attacks from other males is real estate, in the form of larger tanks and many, many hiding spots key to keeping multiple adult males of many species, Kenyi and probably Hongi included.

Ok thanks.

On a different note something is up with my ph or my ph tester. I checked my tap my 55g and my 10 g and all registered a 7.4 on both low and high ph liquids. Then I tested our RO and it was 6.6. I thought they are always 7.0. What's goin on lol.

Well I went to my lfs today and it just so happened they had an Acei, although I didn't buy it. However, I made an order for 4 :D supposed to get them next wednesday-friday, can't wait :drool:

Back
Top Bottom