My male GT seems to have laid eggs...alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off i thought it was a male (guess not).
Now heres the details.

A few days ago i did my usual water change, i moved a few things around, set up stuff a bit dif...everythings normal. A few territory things, eveyr1 settles back in well.

2 cons decide to breed again. Now here comes the strange thing.

Not far from the convicts 'nest' my green terror is camping out. Its very unusual because theyve tried to get rid of him many times but he just comes back.

Then i noticed the gravel there where the green terror is hanging out has been dug up, you kno just like the classic cichlid nest. At first i thouhgt...did the convicts dig this b4, was this there b4? strange.

so i put a rock like thing inbetween there distances so the cons notice him less. well they ignore him now.

today the green terror is still tehre and chases ne fish away from therelike mad then comes right back. today ive seen him moving more gravel around in that pit area making the area more large.

It looks like it layed 4 eggs in the area on the base of a plastic amazon plant. And while ive been writing this she clearly laid 2 more but on the bottom glass of the tank. She has some pinkish thing sticking out under her, reminds me of my female convict when she lays eggs.

Its really a surprise to me. Just a week ago i noticed a hump starting on my green terrors head, i just fig the guy was maturing. i was exctied thinking 'yess its a male. =more colorfull' . ANd then i thought the digging of a pit was more convincing, i just guessed he was claiming his territory to mate in.

i duno maybe hes trying to mate wiht a convict or soemthing? no other fish go near that area.
ok im def not s eeing things, she just layed a pile of em , at least 30. im taking pics ill post them right away. i gota get the connection from cam to the computer working.

i dont kno wut to make of this, has this every happend to any1?

edit: a good 100 + eggs now.

Congrats. Cichlids always keep things interesting can't wait for the baby pics! :D

heres some pics. the 2nd last shows how close the green terrors nest is to the convict couples.

Attachments

• p1000233a_737.jpg
    p1000233a_737.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 61
  • p1000246a_111.jpg
    p1000246a_111.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 56
  • p1000256a_126.jpg
    p1000256a_126.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 49
  • p1000266a_984.jpg
    p1000266a_984.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 49
  • p1000264a_141.jpg
    p1000264a_141.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 48
Chances are good that the hormones released by the spawning convicts triggered the GT to spawn as well. The eggs won't be fertile though, and she will probably eat them within a couple days. Worse if they are fertile, the resulting hybrids will be some ugly kids, and best used as feeders.

Back
Top Bottom