My mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kenyi don't occasionally terrorize the other fish? That was always my experience with them. Are the fish adults yet? Your labs look like juvies.

Nice setup.

Labs are juvies, 2 kenyi are juvies as well but are growing fast. One adult kenyi and she doesn't really pay much attention to the juvies at all. The cobalt blue pretty much manages the entire tank pretty well

May I suggest a Bi-color 500 to play off the yellow and blue already in there?

A_stuartgranti_maulana2.jpg

And thank you I've changed it around a million times haha

Is that a peacock? Beautiful fish. My only concern is they are not aggressive enough and would eventually get picked on to death

Yes, it's an aulonocara species, which means it is indeed a peacock, a poor choice for a mbuna tank.

The tank looks great, keep up the good work! What size tank is it?

Thank you it's a 46 gallon tank and yea I know that's a bit small but I found that out after I already bought the tank. I've been told though that mbuna can work. I just have to keep up with my maintenance and some even say it's important to overstock. So many different opinions though I just do what works for me

If stocked properly, there shouldn't be a need to overstock. Just keep the correct ratios (1m:3-4f) and species similar in aggression :)

Your doing a great job. 46 is to small for peacocks but with the right stocking a 46 mbuna tank can work just fine. I had a 45 mbuna for many years. I got it as a Christmas present when I was 9. I really like the rock work. Reminds me of mine!

You can keep them with mbuna, but 1. You need a large tank and 2. You need to be prepared to deal with some beat up peacocks. It's best not to mix them for most people.

Your doing a great job. 46 is to small for peacocks but with the right stocking a 46 mbuna tank can work just fine. I had a 45 mbuna for many years. I got it as a Christmas present when I was 9. I really like the rock work. Reminds me of mine!

when you were 9 TCC!? and it was 45? what years ago?:rolleyes: I don't know why I always thought you were an oldie, probably just old wisdom then.

Yep and I'm only 20 lol. I always had birds, fish and reptiles growing up. Thanks to my mom. Though most had a not so great life I'll admit, but in my defense there wasn't much good info available pre 2000.

pre 2000 is now considered the era of researching things in a book.
I thought TCC was chiming in from a hot spot on his iPad somewhere in Mozambique.

Ya like I said it took a lot of attempts to get the rocks the way I like then and also make it right for the fish. You're never done though I always want to add more and change it up. What kind of mbuna are best for a 46 gallon tank in your opinion.

IMO most will work in there. Stay away from the more aggressive species like auratus, carbro, and johanni. And the bigger mbuna like acei. But most will work. Just keep your numbers around 10 and everyone should do great.

Thanks for the info :). Ya I bought 3 Acei and returned them the next day after I found out how big they get

Back
Top Bottom