My never ending ram saga...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Condensed version of the story up until now:

-got 2 gold rams, thinking they were a mated pair
-turned out to be 2 females
-got 1 male blue ram because I'm an idiot
-chaos ensued
-moved and completely traumatized one female and the male into another tank
-got another male blue ram
-new male blue ram turned out to in fact be female (wow, his belly sure is pink... wait a second...)
-female gold ram showing mild aggression towards new tankmate

Now. I figure I have 3 options;
1) exchange the new female gbr for a male (and be DARN SURE before I leave the store)
But... she is a really nice fish and i'm wondering if it's just because she's new (4 or 5 days... or maybe 6)
2) Pick up 2 males (again, being DARN SURE...)
3) Leave well enough alone and monitor the situation to see if the aggression picks up at all...

I am leaning towards 3, but I (OBVIOUSLY) am very inexperienced with rams and feel that I have screwed things up terribly already.

Advice please? TIA.

If you choose option 3 eventually they will leave each other alone. No reason why you can't keep two of the same sex together. Aggression should only accure when both sexes are present and a female is ready to spawn. Keep the pair in one tank, two females in another and they will be fine.

I would buy a male GBR and introduce it to the tank with 2 females and if a pair forms take the other to the LFS. A pair won't necessarily form because each sex is in the tank. Give the male some choices and you will be more likely to see a pair form if that is what you really want. Adding 2 males may also increase the chances of a pair (or two) forming. Just a thought.

Well, when I added one male to 2 females before it ended up in a bit of a war. A pair formed, spawned and then right away, he traded females. I guess I wasn't quick enough to take one back, because then the females just took turns terrorizing each other.

2 for one sale at the lfs this saturday though...

Back
Top Bottom