My new 115G Cichlid tank - What you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, I just wanted to pass on that Mbuna LOVE zucchini and cucumbers! I use a clip thing for my big tank and for my small fry I put a piece on a rock with a rubber band. They will munch on it all day long, especially the Acei. All I do is rinse it under warm water and use my nail to soften it up some. I used to just rubber band it to a rock, but my Lab got big enough to grab it and take it in his cave and hoard the whole thing! Hanging on the side, no one can steal it and all get some.

This is what I mean. Try it :) This is how I put it in with the big guys:
img_999900_0_b0efb91497a5e4b4b2516e3ef22edfa4.jpg

This is how I give it to the small ones (this is a group of my Lab fry)
img_999900_1_922a98df88cb665d4235ab863b3e277d.jpg

Funny that you post this. Last night I put slices of cucumber in veggie clips in the Mbuna tank for the first time and they went crazy. I peeled and sliced it and they ate every last bit. Nothing was left except the part that was in the clip! Gonna try Zuch next. Thanks for the idea!!

Hey Dizz (or anyone else),

Is there any possibility that my Acei could be holding being that they are less than 3" long? One of them is protuding down between its gills below its mouth and doesnt seem to be eating like the others. I just noticed it today so I am going to start watching it closer. It has also been hanging around in the plants more. I thought it would be way to young to be holding yet but I dont know. What do you think? I tried to get some pics but I cant figure out how to get my camera to focus close enough.

Tim

A very good possibility. They look like their chins are bulging. They wont eat and if you watch, you can see them rolling the eggs around in their mouths. Its a little harder to tell when an Acei holds, maybe its the color or their mouth size. Its very obvious when my other females do, but my Acei I have to really look. Get a flash light and see if you can see eggs in her mouth. They will be a light tan color, almost white. If she is, count out 21 days and that is the day you should see fry.

Mine spawned this morning.

Thanks dizz. What are you gonna do with all this fry. Are you gonna just let nature take its course and some get eaten or are you gonna try to save and raise them?

Holding or not?

Hey dizz, I did some experimentation with my camera tonight and got these pics. Do you think this is a holding female. In some you can see another Acei in the background that does not look that way. Let me know what you think. Sorry about the dirty glass.

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

Yep, she definitely has a mouthful of eggs!(y) After 3-4 days the eggs hatch into tiny fry. Then they live off their egg yoke until its gone. The mom holds them for the whole time, which takes 21 days or so. Start looking at about day 15 and you may see eyes peeking out. Its so adorable! Your daughters are going to love it! :)

Acei fry are tiny! I was surprised at how small they are. My Red Zebra spawned the day after my Acei and I stripped them the same day. The Red fry were twice as big as the Acei fry. My Acei female is twice as big as my Red too! My Acei didn't spawn till almost 5" because there was no male. They started spawning with each other when they hit large maturity. I got the male about 4 months ago and have been having Acei fry ever since.

I will give the ones I am growing out to the lfs, but the ones that are being held now will get spit in the main tank. I am over loading my lfs with fry and they said no more for awhile. So, after this batch I give them I will not save any fry for a few months. When mine first started spawning I did keep one or two of the fry for myself. I have 3 Red Zebras and 3 Yellow Labs I kept for me that are now almost 3".

Since its her first time and she is still small, she probably only has about 10 or 15 in her mouth. If you decide to move her to her own tank to release, wait at least a week before you try catching her. If you try before the eggs hatch she is more likely to spit them, especially a new mom. Once the eggs hatch they are more prone to hold onto them.

Here is what Acei fry look like when first released. See the Red Zebra fry too? It is actually a day younger than the Acei fry! The mom's both had about 30 fry in their mouths and the Red mom is half the size as the Acei mom. This was taken about an hour after I stripped the mom's. So, very newly released fry.
img_1002239_0_f769c95e6f9c21e8dcc95ed720dc58b9.jpg

Acei fry at 3 weeks old, getting the yellow fins :)
img_1002239_1_63f62a69b17e624fb568c1e223df272e.jpg

Here's a video I did of how Mbuna fry develop in a mom's mouth. I made an egg tumbler to see how they develop. It starts at 5 days past the spawn then goes on to show different development at different ages up to 19 days. Pretty cool!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...4618f4aeaf2d76333e1782a242876.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

What is this?

What kind of fish is this????? Got it out of the mixed cichlid tank. Thought at the time it was an Ice Blue Greshakei, now am thinking Acei. Either way, a bargain at $4.49. HELP!!!!!

Attachments

• DSC00581.jpg
    DSC00581.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00584.jpg
    DSC00584.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00588.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00589.jpg
    DSC00589.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 64
Couple more pictures to decide

Greshakei or Acei????

Attachments

• DSC00590.jpg
    DSC00590.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00591.jpg
    DSC00591.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00592.jpg
    DSC00592.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 50
Oh well, once again I wish I lived by you so that I could get some of your Greshakei. Am having a terrible time finding them here. It is about the only fish I want right now. How are your fry doing? Hope all are well.

How are your fry doing?
I ended up giving them to my lfs without credit. I could not sell them at all, nobody wanted them. I would have been happy to mail you some, but I have never mailed fish before and really don't want to try. The problem is, nobody wants brown fish. At 2" the males were still more a tanish blue than the bright blue of an adult. Or, I had all females. I have one I am growing out for a friend and it is 2" now and still not blue. It could be because of the huge dominant male too, so its keeping its colors hidden. If that is the case with all Greshakei at a young age, it may be why you can't find them. I ended up giving the females away too. They would spawn after only a week after releasing and my tank was getting over run by them! The fry were bigger than any other fry and smarter, so they would take over all the nooks and cranny's, making it impossible for other fry to make it. The females also made my male overly aggressive and he would dig obsessively, spitting sand into my filter intakes and clogging them up. He has settled down now.

I am done raising fry for awhile. My two lfs told me they can't take anymore for awhile because they are full. Plus, I need a break! I am only going to raise Bolivian Ram fry now. Everyone still wants those because they are hard to find here. So, I am going to grow out my last Red Zebra and Acei fry, try to sell them on Craigslist and find them homes. I will just let the Mbuna mom's spit in the main tank for awhile and any that make it is fine. Its really fun in the beginning, but after 8 months of constant fry, it gets tiring! I have the extras I wanted to fill my groups out now. It got to the point that I was so busy with fry I stopped just enjoying my tanks for the peace they gave me.

fies010.gif
fies010.gif
fies010.gif

Never say never! I just picked up a couple Perlmutt ladies for my boy, because I have fallen in love with them! Well, one of the ladies has a mouthful of fry! Don't know how old they are. I called the guy and he said that there was a male in with them, so most likely they are Perlmutt fry. So........ out comes the tumbler today just in case and I am going to raise about 3 so that I can up my numbers of them! Cool, for the price of one I get a bunch
fies010.gif

This really works because I took the last 2 at one lfs, and the last 2 females at the other! Now I can get a couple more without having to search for them.

I think I am just going to let this acei release in the tank and let nature take its course. If some survive thats ok. If not, thats ok too. Not ready to raise more yet. Just set up a 10G in each of my daughters rooms, so I have them to look after now. Good luck with the pearlmutts!

So, I guess I didn't see this Acei when she first started holding because now I see fry in the tank. Here is the only pic I could get. He is in the very center of the pic between the two slabs of rock. He is sooooo tiny! Just peeking out.

Attachments

• DSC00595.jpg
    DSC00595.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 72
It can take mom a few days to let them all go. Some actually escape LOL. She lets the biggest, strongest ones go first. I saw one escape once, the fry just popped right out of poor mom's mouth!

Back
Top Bottom