My New 150.. any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
he made a typo, i guess you would call it that... he meant convict instead of oscar. and i fully plan on getting rid of the balas and tin foils sooon, just have to figure out what im doing with this tank first... and ive seen first hand how big the balas get, and the tinfoils have doubled in size since i got them a week and a half ago...im just looking for some colorful fish and some that can be with several other fish, which the mbunas spoon has are very nice looking...

Ah, I see.

I'd suggest Mbuna then. I'd go for Lake Tanganyika cichlids myself, but Mbuna are cheaper and more readily available. Super colorful too. Try researching species that you like and checking compatibility with other Mbuna. All are relatively aggressive, but you wouldn't want to keep yellow labs with something like auratus, if that makes sense.

I forgot what kind of cichlid it was but i read a couple of artitcales saying you can't put them in with any other kind of fish because once they mate the WHOLE group of cichlids in the tank will help defend the young becoming a temporary parents. Including the young babies from the last batch. I will see if i can find 1 of the articals but i don't remember were i read it at.

etunes, i have some of those, they are neolamprologus brichardi (i think i spelled that right) commonly known as fairy cichlids.. i had 13, but gave all but 4 away because they were deformed... i want to introduce a few new ones to the group if i keep them to prevent further inbreeding, but i cant find them anywhere, tanganyikans are hard to come by around here...

etunes, i have some of those, they are neolamprologus brichardi (i think i spelled that right) commonly known as fairy cichlids.. i had 13, but gave all but 4 away because they were deformed... i want to introduce a few new ones to the group if i keep them to prevent further inbreeding, but i cant find them anywhere, tanganyikans are hard to come by around here...

Yes, thank you for updating my memory. I swear i am a 60 year old in a 17 year old body. I want to make a small tank of them. You should come here for the tanganyikans, There is a lfs here called board room aquatics That has a 100 gallon FULL of them. People come in and trade fish to him for store credit and he has people bring him there's when there's breed.

i would love to make a trip to florida, get some fish, hit okeechobee (however thats spelled) wide open on a bass boat, and go to disney world... but im broke, gotta work, and have a baby on the way, so probably wont happen any time soon... anyways, im in the process of adding pfs to my new tank now, ill be sure and post pics of it after its partially set up.. thanks for all the input guys

make your aquascaping all natural... sand, driftwood, rocks, live plants, etc.

i'm so jealous. i really want to stop by and see it.

What kind of light are you planning for this tank? I imagine it would be hard to find lighting for this tank.

no ive got two lights... one is super bright, like super super bright, the other is just super bright lol... the guy had corals in it before i got it, so they must be good lights

If you have a pic of the lights I can probably tell you what they are. A planted tank with angels and SA dwarfs might be an interesting direction to take, and much different from your other tanks. If the previous owner had a reef tank, then your lighting should be more than enough for plants. :)

Or, if its really good lighting, sell it and make some money and either save it or buy other stuff for the tank!!!!

well heres a couple pics of the tank... its somewhat setup, i put some plants in it today, and just threw some slate in there just to add to the look right now, i plan on changing it and adding to it by next week when i actually have a chance to work on it... so the lights, one is cheaper looking, it has a starter like the cheap little lights that come with kits... it has a 10,000k bulb in it... the other one is all shiny metalic coated on the inside, actually had a grounded (3 prong) plug, and is so bright i cant look at it... theyre both 48" long...

How about putting discus in that tank? They are an amazing fish and you could fit 10-12 adults in there.

well, i would LOVE to have discus, but ask anybody on here, and they say its not a good idea, especially considering i am very new at this, only been doing this for 2 months now. I can easily get some very pretty discus, expensive, but pretty... heres the link for the guy here in town that has some. Im going to put red devils in it for sure temporarily, then maybe january or so, put something nice in it. I just dont have much money right now and the red devils are free, figure might as well adopt them, keep them for a few months, then give them to a buddy that wants them when i get money to get some nice long term fish...Large Aquarium Fish for sale , High Quality Discus For sale

and my tank is still a little cloudy, and it clouds up when i stir up the sand, i rinsed it good, but evidentally got the dirtiest pool filter sand ever... good thing it wasnt going in a pool

well, i would LOVE to have discus, but ask anybody on here, and they say its not a good idea, especially considering i am very new at this, only been doing this for 2 months now. I can easily get some very pretty discus, expensive, but pretty... heres the link for the guy here in town that has some. Im going to put red devils in it for sure temporarily, then maybe january or so, put something nice in it. I just dont have much money right now and the red devils are free, figure might as well adopt them, keep them for a few months, then give them to a buddy that wants them when i get money to get some nice long term fish...Large Aquarium Fish for sale , High Quality Discus For sale

I'm familiar with what discus need as far as maintenace. I have three tanks of them currently including a breeding trio I just purchased. In another tank I have sub adults that I'm growing out and I will separate pairs into their own tanks when they form and the rest will go into the community tank. They really aren't as hard to keep as you might think they are. The size of discus that I would recommend for you (3-4") would require a 25% water change every 2-3 days, and less as they mature.

How far are you from Columbus, OH? I know a guy there with some nice stock at great prices if you are interested. The "high quality" ones that were in that link you provided were not all what I'd consider to be high quality. Some of them were very nice while others were average at best for their size/shape/color/pattern.

I know what you are saying about cash being tight and I'm not trying to push you into discus, just I think you would like them if you looked into them. Either way you should fill up that tank! I think a South American theme would be nice with some angelfish, a couple of pairs of rams, some apistos, a large school of neon or cardinal tetras, some hatchetfish, some bushynose plecos, and a few cories to round out the group.

i definately wanna go with cichlids, and eventually, after getting some more experience, i would love to get some discus. They are one of the few fish that my fiance likes, and i think they are beautiful fish. Im not sure how far from columbus i am, it takes me four hours to get to dayton, so however far dayton is from columbus plus four hours is how long it would take... for now, im going to put those red devils in, but i will definately at least consider putting some discus in when the time comes... at that time, i may even think about putting some clown fish and tangs in :) (once i get the nerve for salt lol)

i definately wanna go with cichlids, and eventually, after getting some more experience, i would love to get some discus. They are one of the few fish that my fiance likes, and i think they are beautiful fish. Im not sure how far from columbus i am, it takes me four hours to get to dayton, so however far dayton is from columbus plus four hours is how long it would take... for now, im going to put those red devils in, but i will definately at least consider putting some discus in when the time comes... at that time, i may even think about putting some clown fish and tangs in :) (once i get the nerve for salt lol)

Discus are cichlids, as are angelfish.

You must drive REALLY slow because mapquest says it would be 3.5 hours from Lexington to Galena, OH which is NE of Columbus. It's about 210 miles but well worth the drive. I'd say more like a 3 hour drive but I do 70 average.

Back
Top Bottom