My new 90 setup with 20gal sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got the canopy wired tonight. Went with 4x 3.5 watt LED bars. Not sure what spectrum or anything but I am not growing with them. Just showing fish. I prefer a little darker tank as opposed to a bright tank. My preference. If needed I can always add another set to brighten things up. I think I am going to bend up a stainless deflector for behind the lights. Should be simple enough.

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3883.jpg
    IMG_3883.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 161
Painted stand bottom. Moving it up tonight and starting to reassemble the sump etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpg
    IMG_3884.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3886.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 87
Moved it up today. Filling it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_3888.jpg
    IMG_3888.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 86
Nice build so far. Just realized the last shot was with a fisheye lens effect ("Where did the bow front tank cone from?").
I like the minimalistic LEDs... back in the day I slapped four 48" T-12 tubes and end caps to the top of a canopy. Talk about weight.

Got it filled up. Running real good.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.jpg
    IMG_3897.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 186
Took a video of the tank now that's it's complete. Been a fun project. Stocking is the next step.

Cheers
https://youtu.be/_OWJJDs3gms

The sump by far took the most time to organized. I have put a lot in a little space. It all works so far. Still have 2 switches to install if they ever arrive from China. (Free shipping, sometime between Oct31-Nov 27) the Sump should be complete complete. For now......there is always tinkering to be done.

Here is my water test. Left to right-pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpg
    IMG_3924.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 135
I went out and picked up 7 yoyo loaches and a red tail shark for the tank. They seem all good except I had to fish the shark and one yoyo loach out of the sump this morning. Dumb fish. The yoyo loaches pretty much hid in the rocks all night but are now starting to swim around the tank and are quite fun to watch. Seem like silly fish. Gonna leave them in there for a few weeks then time to purchase the Cichlids.

Thinkin 4 electric yellows, 1 jewel, and something blue. More research to go.

Just thought I would show this. All algae is in my sump. Nowhere else.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 169
Just thought I would update how things are going. I originally create this tank to become a Cichlid tank. But, after careful review and consideration I have gone away from this for now. For now. I do think in the end I will try Cichlids but for now I have gone with a tropical tank.

The tank was setup for cycling on November 6th, 2016.

The sump is working amazing. I do believe that any tank I have from now on will have a sump. It is very low maintance. Keeps my tank water crystal clear and so far I have no algae in my DTank. The refugium is doing its job and collecting all the algae in there. Perfect!

I have constant readings of 0 Ammo, 0 Nitrites, and <20ppm Nitrates. I am currently doing approx 30% WC once a week (with the Python, best product ever IMO). I vacuum the substrate at the same time even though I don't see any crud on the bottom. Once a week I change out my filter sock and I squeeze out the foam in the second stage. The foam could probably go 2-3wks as it is never really that dirty because the filter sock takes out 95% of the crud. Since the startup, I have had to clean the inside of my glass once.

All in all it is working very well.

Current stocking:
15 Columbia Tetra
12 Serpae Tetra
10 Prisella Tetra
6 Yoyo Loach
1 Red Tail Shark
2 Ghost Shrimp
3 Gold fish (kids just couldn't let them go)
3 Lazer Corys

More to come for stocking just not sure what...

Any updates Jeff? Project looks awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom