My new 90 setup with 20gal sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffruth

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is the beginning for my 90gal Cichlids tank. Here is the sump I ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475781961.678623.jpgbuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475782810.167821.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475782827.334950.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475782854.434129.jpg
Here is my DIY PVC overflow and return. Also my electrical. Building my own stand. So far it is 100% DIY and loving it.

Have a Jecob DCS 7000 return pump with does 1900g/hr. I figure it is doing 800 at full flow do to head and PVC elbows etc. Adjustable right down to 80g/hr. Have a Fluval 200 air pump to run the airlines in the sump. Sump will have filter sock->foam(coarse to fine)->Bio balls->Refugium(Using live rock to help with PH)

Running 1" on the overflow and 3/4" on the return. I will have a 2"PVC pipe in the tank.

Have a Jebao RW-4 power head in the 90gal tank.

More to come as I go.

Wow, that's amazing. Can't wait to see when it's fully done and stocked!

I am setting up an ATO running from an approx. 10gal container. I will be using a Aquaclear PHead to pump water into the sump. It will go into the overflow section of the sump. There will be a float-switch in the return section of the sump to turn the PHead on and off to compensate for evaporation from the sump. Because the float-switch has a limited travel I figure if I put the ATO flow into the overflow section it will fill more water into the sump before the switch turns the ATO system off. This should prevent it from running frequently. I will also have a float-switch that will not allow the ATO to operate if the sump is full. This would only happen if the return pump shut off for some reason. The sump is a 20gal and I will run it with around 16gal of water.

I have also added a float-switch to the DTank to turn the return pump off if the DTank fills to the point where it would flood, which will only happen if the overflow becomes plugged. I plan on running the DTank 1" from the top of the tank.

The Jebao RW-4 power head for the display tank I have yet to decide where the best place to put it would be. I am thinking low back pointed up toward the opposite top corner of the tank.

The return (3/4" PVC) is coming into a PVC T with 6" of pipe capped on both sides of the T. I have drilled 8 0.3" holes and they are directed basically parallel with the surface approx. 0.5" below the surface. Good surface agitation and silent.

I plan on using sand for the substrate with rocks, no plants. This tank will be viewed from both sides so the rock layout is not yet decided on but I am thinking a large pile on the back side of one end tapering down towards the front on the other end. Leaving lots of hiding places for the fish and allowing them to roam freely around the glass of the tank. Hoping to keep them from staying in the middle. I will have LED strip lighting mounted to the top inside of the canopy.

Thats the plan so far. Its all done except for finishing the stand. I am waiting for the media for the sump and some of the float-switches to come in. Should have everything in the next few weeks then I can set it up and get it running. Want to do a full setup once the media is in to prove my thoughts and design works. I have ran it with no media in the sump and it works fine. Just need to test the switches and ATO system. I have it in the garage as it flooded on me a few times durning the first test so I am glad I did it there and not the front room. Then once it all works, move it upstairs and start to cycle it.

Here is a shot of the DTank float-switch

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476129149.830800.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476129202.299960.jpg

I have this Toms aqua-lifter pump attached to the overflow to prevent a loss of the siphon if we get a power outage. It's drains into the overflow section of the sump.

Got the gate valve for the overflow today. The plumbing is now complete. Have the wood to finish the stand now so that's the next step.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476333999.345681.jpg

Where in the sump would you recommend I put my heater? I have a 200w to go in it but can't decide in which compartment. Thanks

Wow, that's amazing. Can't wait to see when it's fully done and stocked!

That setup looks like it is going to be awesome. I love cichlids as well; have a 75 gallon and breeding them. Cant wait to see your finished product when completed!

Mike.

Stand is getting done. Have to cover up the overflow/return yet.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476582640.189762.jpg

Here it is complete

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476855817.049329.jpg

Now I start the task of dismantling the whole thing so I can paint it. Everything is fitted and ready to go. By this time next week it should be in my living room starting to be cycled.

In this picture it's not sanded. I have done that.

I want to put something under my stand to protect my hardwood floor. Has anyone done this? If so what did you use or can you recommend something that might work. I have access to a sheet of foam that's is 1/8" thick. Would this work? Any thoughts are appreciated.

So tonight I installed the ATO system. I am using a container from an RV that held a water filter. I put a 1" dia PVC pipe down the centre and drilled some holes at the bottom. I am going to fill it with Carbon and Zeocarb most likely. This way the water is as clean as possible when it goes into the sump.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477630383.595001.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477630399.810325.jpg

The pump will be run off a float switch in the return section. The ATO outflow will go into the overflow section of the sump. I figure this will give the most fill up before the pump shuts off. Now I just need to find the right size container for the fresh water to be in that fits the spot well.

Plants in Refugium

In my sump I am running a Filter Sock, Foam media, Bio Balls, and a refugium. What would be the best choice for a heavy feeding moss? that I could use in the refugium. I have dead "Live Rock" in the refugium as well as approx. 1.5" depth of sand.

I have been told Java Moss or Java Fern works well but is there any other options. I have considered putting maybe 5 pieces of lucky bamboo in it as well. I would like a plant that doesn't fall apart as the refugium is right before the return section of the sump. I do have foam in between and on the intake of the pump to collect any debris that floats around from the plants. I am looking for something that I can attached to the rock and want it to grow on the rock.

Most of the Google searches return setups for Saltwater which does me no good. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers

In my sump I am running a Filter Sock, Foam media, Bio Balls, and a refugium. What would be the best choice for a heavy feeding moss? that I could use in the refugium. I have dead "Live Rock" in the refugium as well as approx. 1.5" depth of sand.

I have been told Java Moss or Java Fern works well but is there any other options. I have considered putting maybe 5 pieces of lucky bamboo in it as well. I would like a plant that doesn't fall apart as the refugium is right before the return section of the sump. I do have foam in between and on the intake of the pump to collect any debris that floats around from the plants. I am looking for something that I can attached to the rock and want it to grow on the rock.

Most of the Google searches return setups for Saltwater which does me no good. Any info is appreciated.

Cheers

WOW Jeff!

You sure did an awesome job!.. As far as plants go; I use plants from my yard; easy in the budget..I have ferns, moss growing from rocks, some flower plants I don't know the name. I found the ones that work best for me. Some will last for six months or more.

Mike.

In my sump I am running a Filter Sock, Foam media, Bio Balls, and a refugium. What would be the best choice for a heavy feeding moss? that I could use in the refugium.

Do you have enough light to grow pothos with the roots in the water? I haven't tried that, myself, but apparently quite a few people do that to remove nitrates from the water column.

Back
Top Bottom