My new EBJD's with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
They are just tiny now. I have had 1 before years ago and lost it. I am determined to grow these out I plan to spoil them rotten. Everytime I see people successfully grow out adult EBJD' they are in groups last time I had a single. I currently have two I wonder if I should get another. They are both about 3/4 of an inch.

One is noticeably more bold than the other. He is out exploring while the other is content to stay by his rock.

The Whole Tank -75 Gallon
Arrow pointing to the explorer

He meant on the EBJD, not in general ;)

Unfortunately, these are so fragile and weak genetically, that they rarely see adulthood, an adult EJBD is a rare sight these days, almost like the unicorn of the fish world. No one's trying to offend you btw, just a common thing when the topic of EBJDs is brought up lol

Yeah....never meant any offense to any one. I just get a feeling of dread whenever I see a ebjd post.

No offense taken. I might have been offended had I not already had one die at the dreaded 3" mark. It seems to get them all at that size. A year ago I told myself never again. They are so pretty and I am so stubborn that I am determined to make it work this time.

I am not foolish or arrogant enough to place money on my success LOL but I am going to give it a go. If I were in your shoes I would be laughing at me right now to.

No offense taken. I might have been offended had I not already had one die at the dreaded 3" mark. It seems to get them all at that size. A year ago I told myself never again. They are so pretty and I am so stubborn that I am determined to make it work this time.

I am not foolish or arrogant enough to place money on my success LOL but I am going to give it a go. If I were in your shoes I would be laughing at me right now to.

Please don't think anyone is laughing at you my friend. So many of us have had our hearts broken with these fish that we have to make light of it now. I swore to never own them again but please believe that I only want the best for you and your fish so we are pulling for you! We all are on your side. Best of luck and keep us posted. Hope you are one of the great success stories regarding the ebjd.

Please don't think anyone is laughing at you my friend. So many of us have had our hearts broken with these fish that we have to make light of it now. I swore to never own them again but please believe that I only want the best for you and your fish so we are pulling for you! We all are on your side. Best of luck and keep us posted. Hope you are one of the great success stories regarding the ebjd.

No hard feelings at all and thanks for the support. I was just adding a little humor myself. I was smirking to my self as I read the comments because I know how risky these little guys are.

You all seem like nice people.

Most others would disagree, we tend to be quite blunt and people tend to not like that lol join the South and Central American Cichlid Society sub group on here, make a journal of their progress in there, I think HUKIT has to approve you, and I haven't seen him on here in a while

Yes.....we are quite blunt and to the point but that's cause we tend to have a great deal of knowledge and we do not sugar coat things or just tell people what they want to hear. If what some one is doing is wrong or a bad decision, we tell them. Many people take offense to it but it is what it is.

Under user cp, scroll down to social groups click on it and it will bring up the available groups. We are the group with the festae pic that has causes so much controversy. .

Just joined even though it said no African lovers allowed :) I prefer new worlds but I do like peacocks as well.

Don't listen to these guys EBJD are awesome I have had several that have grown out no problem they are bot any more difficult to take care of than any of the africans i have had. they are great fish to own!

And as to the person that said they are all poor genetics, that is incorrect! There are people that carry good genetics, and take the time to continue to introducing new wild blue gene carriers to the gene pool which strengthens the electric blue gene line. The breeder I got mine from has ten adult breeding pairs of unrelated genes. Where you end up with bad genetics is when you keep crossing back patents with children and grand children that weakens the genetic line....

And as to the person that said they are all poor genetics, that is incorrect! There are people that carry good genetics, and take the time to continue to introducing new wild blue gene carriers to the gene pool which strengthens the electric blue gene line. The breeder I got mine from has ten adult breeding pairs of unrelated genes. Where you end up with bad genetics is when you keep crossing back patents with children and grand children that weakens the genetic line....

Dude, calm down. Generally, ebjds DO have poor bloodlines, just because you've had success does not mean everyone has. They generally do not make it past the 3" mark and I can tell you at least 4-5 members on here who have had them and had no success, with a few of these members being extremely knowledgable and experienced. No one said ALL of the,, just typically, they are OT bred properly, as this is a line bred trait that generally takes several generations of inbreeding.

Well just get sick of people talking negatively about them, I have had success on multiple occasions and know of many others that have as we'll, and as to breeding I will give you an example you might understand as a 21 year old,
Every dog breed originated from one genus and they selectively breed for certain characteristics to create each breed and creat stable genetic lines! It takes 7 generations to have a completely stable genetic line. not all but most people who have breeder tanks take the time to find good genetics from a reputable source and further progress and strengthen the genetics they have

Well just get sick of people talking negatively about them, I have had success on multiple occasions and know of many others that have as we'll, and as to breeding I will give you an example you might understand as a 21 year old,
Every dog breed originated from one genus and they selectively breed for certain characteristics to create each breed and creat stable genetic lines! It takes 7 generations to have a completely stable genetic line. not all but most people who have breeder tanks take the time to find good genetics from a reputable source and further progress and strengthen the genetics they have

I understand genetics, thank you. Bu trying to condescend does not help your opinion at all.

Dog breeds are STILL all from the same genus, and are all from the same genus as grey wolves, or canis lupus, in fact they are considered the same species still, just a subspecies. The domestic dog, or canis lupus familiaris, does often suffer from genetic weakness due to inbreeding and line breeding, such as hip dysplasia. There's a reason that more primitive breeds suffer from less genetic disorders, while heavily breed breeds suffer from more issues, and some severe ones. Great Danes average just 8 years on average, dobermans just 10.

So like I said, don't talk down to me for my age thank you.

EBJD DO suffer greater risk of deformity and disease that a regular rocio octofasciata. Many times, these fish are not bred from two wild jacks with the blue gene. Typically, it is a blue gene bred to a normal, JD the offspring are bred back to the blue gene parent, and this creates a mix of phenotypes. They then take two of the electric blues from the "grandchildren" if you will, and breed them. So you have three generations of offspring. If these were bred properly, using several bloodlines, and this was done all over the United States and other countries in the hobby, you would not see the continued pattern of failure with these. Just because locally, you have good stock, does NOT mean everyone else does, because typically, people do not.

I don't think you know nothing! I'm sure you are very knowledgeable from you pet shop exp and having tanks, I just think you act like you know everything, and talk down to people. I have 22+ years of exp with fish! We all have opinions about the right way of doing things
And there is a big difference between being blunt and being rude to someone for their decision to get a kind of fish that you don't approve of!

I never disapproved of any fish! Are you kidding me!?! The OP even stated that the first go around yielded the same results that most experience with these. I was not rude, I even explained why everyone was saying what they were and asked him to start a growth journal on them. Get off your high horse and actually read the conversations.

Back
Top Bottom