my new rams - another update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So are you telling me that my fish is a mutt? LOL!

The lfs guy told me this is a long finned variety, but come to think of it, there were a mix of bolivians and germans in the tank. I am easily bamboozled to boot. I must admit I wondered a bit about the red on the fins... There is black on the dorsal spike though. Hmm... you're right... the jaw does look different that the golds.

Here's the best I could do for close ups:
img_762157_0_992c4171615d856b82fdb0c42b11d200.jpg

img_762157_1_9ebfc50bd625159708ec21129dfdd4d7.jpg

img_762157_2_2118427791a907b6bdb349ac36a8fe9d.jpg

img_762157_3_6b2a1d2b6baa2e37267e79a0834110de.jpg

img_762157_4_77a8c5982c71fe56f2f3b699ff7d81af.jpg

img_762157_5_4f1935e11bfbaef5e30edea7a1751408.jpg

Now... while snapping these photos tonight, I observed some interesting behaviour. The Mutt fish and one of the females have been hanging around together in the same area of the tank and interacting a lot. Especially the Mutt is staying near the same place. I also saw some aggression from the Mutt toward the other female more than once. I honestly can't tell the girls apart, but I assume that there's some consistancy there. Is "the other woman" in danger?

On a side note, if one did lay eggs, would my cories eat them?

Yes the other female is in danger if there are already signs of aggression toward her, and yes the Cories will eat the eggs it happened to me alot. Also Maxwell try wetthumbaquatics.com thats where Iget all of my fish, and my Rams lived six long years.

Would it be best if I just took the pair out and put them into their own tank? Is 10 gal enough?

As I thought... it was the picture that was deceiving me. It is a male GBR.

I can clearly see the black spots now and the black on the dorsal fin. Mine have red on the dorsal fins and on the tail but I thought that yours was shaped like a Bolivian's with almost a "lyretail" shape to it.

Not sure if it is a long finned variety or not because those don't get the "v-shaped" tail that yours has. It is just thinned out bloodlines that is all. (Notice how the whole fish seems to be "stretched"?)

Look for either or both the male and female to start cleaning a surface or pushing sand/gravel around. This is a telltale sign of breeding behavior. My guess is that the male is being aggressive towards the female in an attempt to get her to breed. Mine do this often.

Cories and anything else in the tank will go after the eggs. This includes plecos, cories, tetras, danios, the parents... probably best to remove the fertilized eggs if/when you get them adn put them into a 10 gallon tank.

shayfish said:
Would it be best if I just took the pair out and put them into their own tank? Is 10 gal enough?

Yes, a 10 is big enough. That is what I use for mine. Just make sure the pair are the only occupants in the tank.

Sheesh... what a great idea it was to get another ram. Now I'm setting up another tank... lol

You could also place them in their own tank and let them do things on their own, my Rams ate their first couple of spawns, but ended up being great parents. I wish I had room for more.

I am not sure what I should do right now. I'm glad my fish isn't a mutt though.

I know I can pick up a 10 gal quite cheap. I'm thinking it would be best if the pair were removed from the main tank. I'm a little curious to hear that some aggressive behaviour may be the male trying to get her to mate. It seemed like he was hanging around closely with the other one. I would be afraid to remove the wrong one now. And then I would wonder about the one remaining female. Hm... but those eggs wouldn't stand a chance seeing as I have all those mentioned fish, tetras, cories, danios and a pleco.

AHH! THE DILEMMAS!

I would wait for a clear pair to form before moving them or move all three to the 10 gallon and then remove the other female. The latter may cause more stress to teh other female though as she will have less room to hide and get away from the pair.

As for the aggressive behaviour, if BOTH the female and male are chasing her, then a pair has probably formed and the male is not interested in the other female. But if the male is going after her (not darting and being overly aggressive) it just may be that he is displaying his readiness to breed. If he is spending more time with one over the other, then you should have a pair.

Back
Top Bottom