My oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzie

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is my 4 year old Oscar Trevor :) he's such a beauty (clearly beauty is Trevor's personality more then his looks ;) he's basically like a puppy dog with scales the way he acts!

He is roughly 20cm and in the new year he will be upgraded to a 5-6 foot tank and possibly acquire another Oscar buddy!

Attachments

• image-3906943648.jpg
    image-3906943648.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,288
  • image-1191778795.jpg
    image-1191778795.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 168
Hi Ezzie, well I would say Trevor's beauty also lies in his appearance :-D I think he is one good looking Oscar. I am very pleased to hear his tank will be upgraded because his current tank is way too small. Saying that, I know you really care about him judging by how clean you keep his home.

I actually bought him a new filter too, fluval 206 (I think) he's one lucky fish, he's loving the extra flow in the tank now :)

Do you think a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft tank would be suitable for 2 oscars? I'm afraid a 6ft would be too heavy for future apartments (a main reason were not buying it now, the floor simply won't hold)

That size tank would be the bare minimum for 2 Oscars. As much as Trevor is friendly with you, you may be surprised at his bad behavior towards an intruder! (your intended new Oscar) If you have your heart set on another I would suggest a tank divider to let him slowly adjust to your new guy. This may not ever happen unless you have chosen a female and you have luck on your side :-D

He used to live with another Oscar with no issues but I rehomed the other as the tank was too small when they got bigger so at least he has some social skills :)

I'm not 100% sure of the gallons, but I would say like 50 maybe? I need to measure the tank and work it out, I'll do that later :)

Would he grow more when he's given a bigger tank? He got a bit bigger when I rehomed his friend but since then he's stopped!

Do you think a 5ft by 2ft by 2ft tank would be suitable for 2 oscars? I'm afraid a 6ft would be too heavy for future apartments (a main reason were not buying it now, the floor simply won't hold)

5x2x2 is 150 gallons, I believe you may have meant 4x2x2 which I a 120 gallon stout. I have 160 gallons of tanks in my 2nd floor apartment 130 of that is along the same wall. I think a 6' 125 gallon would be fine on the 2nd floor just a pain to get up there. In answer to your question I don't think a 120 stout would be large enough for two oscars, the water volume is right but I don't think there's enough swim space.

oops meant to post a pic lol he's gotten a little bigger, still small, though, around 2 in. I tried to take a new pic, but he won't let me lol. I turn the light on, he goes straight to the bottom behind a plant. I turn it off he comes right back up to me =)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130710_232043.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130710_232043.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 177
I measured my tank and used a converter but it said it was like 21 gallons :/ that doesn't seem right! Ha, I think 3ft tank is bigger then 21 gallons!!

I also wouldn't get a tank right now because me and my partner are moving anyway at the end of the year, I don't want t set something up and have to move it again.

I saw a massive tank for sale at a aquarium shop I went too, the thing was like $2000au and came with everything included! Was taller then me and I'm 5'3!!

Also your Oscar is so pretty! I would love another with that colour!

I think that I will buy him a 150 gallon tank next tim, gonna cost me an arm and a leg but they last a good while! That makes room for another Oscar plus decorations!

I think it's a worthwhile investment if you really enjoy fish-keeping. Your Oscar will live for many years in a big tank like that. Trevor is thinking...come on new year ;-)

Thank you, I hope I can keep him as nice as yours, very large tank in my future too =)

I do have a question regarding feeding, he has recently gone off his pellets (hikari cichlid gold XL) which he previously ate like a champ, now he will swim up to see what I have, I'll drop a pellet in and he will back away from it letting it just swirl around the tank without being eaten :S he used to jump for these before!

He's recently gone onto eating live large crickets, do you think since he has tried something better he doesn't want the pellets anymore.. Should I try different bugs or a different pellet?

Back
Top Bottom