my oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some of the pics of my oscar tank. I love my oscars. Hav any suggestion plz mention. Thanks

Cool tank!!! 78G I like the albino ones! If they are albino!

Did you know that Oscar can grow up to a Inc and half per month. I made that mistake by giving him life food. After 3 month I rehome him. But cool fish. Love the aditute

Thanks all of u guys. I hav 4 right now. 2 albino, 1 copper & 1 tiger oscar. I just love my buddies. They are the best pal I have.they just Love to have live blood worms & shrimp in their menu.

Your little Oscars are awesome, but you have to remember that these fish can grow up to 15" or even bigger! You can definitely do one, maybe two Oscars in a 78g. You will need excellent filtration if you try to keep two in a 78g tank. I'd aim for 15+ water cycles per hour. (Around 1200 GPH, or gallons per hour, of water moved) You can find out how much your GPH is by looking up information on your filters and adding up all the GPH's. If you don't have any plans on upgrading your tank, you may want to think about re-homing a couple of them before problems arise. They will be alright for a while, but Oscar's grow at astounding rates. Even with a great GPH, you'll most likely have to do 1-2 50% water changes every week.

Someone earlier mentioned he made the mistake of giving their Oscar live food. I'd definitely recommend against feeding an Oscar live feeders or live food, this will just make them more aggressive and you have a risk of spreading parasites to the tank from the feeders. If that's not enough, feeder fish really aren't very nutritious for the Oscar either. The best thing to do is get them used to a good pellet diet, such as New Life Spectrum. They have a great balanced and healthy pellet that will result in a healthy fish.

With all of that said, your little guys are really cool! Oscars are amazing fish and have great personalities as they grow up. It's like having a dog in a tank. :lol:

@steez, really thanx for the info. Yup it's a 78g tank(42x18x24) I hav another 125g. But its in cycling state. So I keep all 4 of my buddies here. But wil shift a couple soon.I never feed my oscars feeder gold fish. But feed blood worm several times. I googled for a good healthy and balance pellet & I've decide to buy the hikari cichlid bio gold. Actually NLS isn't very easily available over here. Thanx again

Back
Top Bottom