my parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:n00b:
:confused:can anybody help me figure this out i purchased a yellow parrot fish about 3 weeks ago and recently it has developed black marks on this fins and body but has no signs of illness.i also purchased a blue parrot fish 2 days ago and it rarely swims around it just seems to lie against the filter with its head looking up at the top of the tank.the yellow 1 also keeps nipping at the blue 1 and thats the only time it moves. if any1 can help i would really appreciate it:p

:n00b:
:confused:can anybody help me figure this out i purchased a yellow parrot fish about 3 weeks ago and recently it has developed black marks on this fins and body but has no signs of illness.i also purchased a blue parrot fish 2 days ago and it rarely swims around it just seems to lie against the filter with its head looking up at the top of the tank.the yellow 1 also keeps nipping at the blue 1 and thats the only time it moves. if any1 can help i would really appreciate it:p
please can any1 give me some advise?

From myexperience in keeping tropical fish,black on the body can be a sign of high amonia in your water.How long have you had your tank set up?

i have had it set up about 4 months i dont no much about them but i am learning as i go along. the black marks only seem to be on the yellow parrot fish the rest are fine. i rang my pet shop but he had never heard of any disease like it he said it could just be the pigment in its skin changing:confused:

The coloured parrots are dyed. The yellow, blue and pink are not natural colours. The black is natural and is showing through. If you knew what they put the fish through to dye them you might reconsider supporting the practice.

This is true,with the colored parrots,they basically strip of all their slime coat in order to subject them to the dye,which is very painful,and future leads to a very short life span and diseases..

i didnt know any of this.:eek::mad: i will keep these parrot fish but from now on i will only buy the natural colour ones. can you please tell me the natural colours of parrot fish.:)

There are 2 kinds of natural parrots ( well, what's natural, they are all hybrids). Blood Parrots( they are a nice red to orange), and then regulars( black and light green).

im not to sure:( i no its called a record 60 i was told by my pet shop that i can hold anything up to 15 fish

i just thought i would let you no that te black marks have disappeared from my yellow parrot fish :BIG:

that's awesome! I wonder why that happened.?? Maybe it was a stress thing or something

kee

Ouch. You might want to return those guys. You lfs lied to you. Unless they ment 15 guppies or Tetra's. Your parrots will get too big for your tank, and agressive. You will be doing them a big favor by taking them back.

Blood Parrots get the black stripe on their top and may have black spotting due to stress or poor water conditions. Keep up with tank maintenance and properly stock your tank and you shouldn't have an issue. It is true that the blue one is dyed. You already bought the fish so all you can do is give it the best home possible. :)

why are they poor things they are being well looked after in a good home.they have been badly treated with all the dying and now they are being looked after.

Back
Top Bottom