my water stinks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's never smelled good, but the hot weather I think makes it noticeable. Like I said unless I'm right over the tank I don't smell it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this. I feed them only nls twice a day, I have the fluval 406 and emperor 400, and I change about 150% of water weekly. All fish are there and accounted for.
Your filters might need a good cleaning. Only do one at a time and leave the other one for about two weeks. Make sure to only use old tank water and keep the media wet when cleaning. I would also cut back on the feeding and see does that help. I only feed my fish every second day....
You should really need to change more than 50% a week

I clean my filters pretty regularly, never at the same time and only in tank water. I don't like using carbon, I kind of think it's pointless. Does it eliminate smell? And I do two water changes a week, and I use prime.

I clean my filters pretty regularly, never at the same time and only in tank water. I don't like using carbon, I kind of think it's pointless. Does it eliminate smell? And I do two water changes a week, and I use prime.

Oh ok im doing 2 50% and just thought maybe you were smelling the prime It stinks like sulfur but you probably know that

Yes it eliminates smell.

Well i just went up to two of my tanks and lifted the lid took a big wiff LOL and I woulnt say they stink but they smell like an aquarium LOL

I like changing water, it benefits the fish greatly. It seems like they grow quickly, show a lot of color, and if I have a fish with a nipped tail, it will grow back within a week or two. Fish have an endless supply of freshwater in the wild, so I try to give them an abundant amount of fresh water in my tank, it can only benefit them is my theory. And thanks for the advice guys, if it gets to bad ill look into carbon.

Well i just went up to two of my tanks and lifted the lid took a big wiff LOL and I woulnt say they stink but they smell like an aquarium LOL

That's what I think I'm smelling. It just bothers me hah, but I know it won't ever be completely odorless. I need to just accept that.

I like changing water, it benefits the fish greatly. It seems like they grow quickly, show a lot of color, and if I have a fish with a nipped tail, it will grow back within a week or two. Fish have an endless supply of freshwater in the wild, so I try to give them an abundant amount of fresh water in my tank, it can only benefit them is my theory. And thanks for the advice guys, if it gets to bad ill look into carbon.

I wish more people had that mind set! I'm pretty OCD with my water and try to do at least two 50-70% water changes a week.

i no u dont like carbon but run it for 2 weeks and the smell will go away. i don't use carbon either but i do use it one week a month to remove smells. instead of buying carbon filters i take a net bad and buy some carbon and pour it in it and set it in the filter system. usually a hob.and yes its re- usable as long as there's no disease.

I wish more people had that mind set! I'm pretty OCD with my water and try to do at least two 50-70% water changes a week.

Hah thanks man. I'm the same way, it bothers me if I miss a day...

i no u dont like carbon but run it for 2 weeks and the smell will go away. i don't use carbon either but i do use it one week a month to remove smells. instead of buying carbon filters i take a net bad and buy some carbon and pour it in it and set it in the filter system. usually a hob.and yes its re- usable as long as there's no disease.

Ok I'll try that, any carbon you recommend?

If it's not a sulfur smell in aquarium then we can say no pocks of gas in your gravel-sand being released. I think all of our aquariums has an earthy smell to it. Mines is very slight if that. I would look into purigen just for that fact you can regenerate it 5x to 10x vs carbon you will have to throw it out after a few weeks.

On my 55g I was doing two water changes close to 90% PWC. Now with the 130g, I'm doing 1 PWC now but still 90%. Knock on wood they look healthy & are very active. I do take my time to vacuum their waste & clean the glass very well, etc.

Back
Top Bottom