Mysis shrimp frozen food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ill some up MY exact opinions on feeding Peacocks into one, short post so there are no confusions. Peacocks are carnivores and should be treated as such, their diet should consist of 5:2 with more than half of their diet coming from living things. Do with this information as you please.

I repeat what i have just posted.
This debate started from the OP saying they never fed protein.
However you try and word it, all cichlids arnt the same and feeding them all a generic pellet is absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
the pellet is considered high protein, right? 50 something percent, so with a pellet they're getting the protein along with other nutritional requirements..

No this discussion between us was stemmed from your comment about peacocks needing high protein but I think I've proved "your so called high protein diet" is nonsense. Especially since the majority of the foods your feeding are junk and consist of very small amounts of actual protein or actual nutrition for that matter.

Hey but what do I know...

Last edited:
There are a few things here I don't totally agree with. Manufactured foods, while seeming to provide everything needed, often use questionable ingredients to get there. While it is true that essential amino acids are the basic building blocks and the source isn't important, at that level, it may still be important. For example, you can obtain certain aminos from either animal or vegetable matter. Both will have the same effect at the basic level. However, the total value may not be equal in both cases, since the food isn't built using only amino acids but materials that contain them. A good example of how this works would be comparing farm raised salmon to wild caught. The farm raised salmon does not have the same health value as the wild caught, even though it may have the same amount of protein. Farm raised salmon is one of the fish on the avoid eating list. If you look at the fish food we use, you will see a wide range of components go into them. There is fish meal, and there is whole fish meal. The first is made from waste, the second from whole fish. Which do you think is better? Same applies to things like Krill and other animal sources.
I had an aquaitance that works for a fish food manufacturer, mostly for aquaculture, but who brought out a new line of food for tropical fish. He said "the fish don't care where they get their amino acids", because you can get them from soy or corn. I believe this to be true as far as it goes. I also believe there is value to the ingredients that surpasses the basic analysis.
My experience with live food is that if you feed it, you must have large quantities since the water content is so high, like all fresh food. Every spring since 1995 I have fed live food 24/7 for from 4 to 8 weeks. There is a surplus in the tanks regardless of the fish type, livebearers to cichlids, including mbuna. The food is primarily daphnia but includes some blood worms and assorted other insect larvae. The effect is a rate of growth that I have yet to see in any dry food. As mentioned the numbers in the analysis aren't high in any particular nutrient, but that is made up for with quantity. The reality is that even mbuna, don't survive on vegetable matter, but the mix of bio fauna that is on the plant matter they eat as well as any other animal they come across.
Fatty livers was mentioned above, and blamed on too much fat in the diet. The fact is that fatty livers is caused by digestible carbohydrates in the food. This has been borne out by research in aquaculture stations. when steam was used to process foods the carbs were rendered undigestible, so it wasn't a problem. Modern extrusion methods don't do this so it is important that carbs be restricted in the formulation of fish food.This info came from the same fish food rep who spoke at our club and presented all sorts of scientific data from research around the world. Even included pictures of fatty livers. His company has been around for about 90 years, providing food for aquaculture and for the pet trade, although just now getting into tropicals.
As far as mysis shrimp go, we recently had a presentation from a company that harvests them from Lake Okanagan in British Columbia. The mysis were introduced years ago to bolster the decling salmon fishery. The lake contains land locked Sockeye salmon. After the intro, salmon stocks declined further, as it turned out the mysis were predatory to the newly hatched salmon. Now, this company, using a patented method of collection harvests large quantities of mysis for the aquarium trade. It is an excellent food, especially for conditioning breeders.
So, what we have here, in my opinion, is several ways to arrive at the same result. However, if you think that a prepared food is the best thing ( absolutely the easiest) for your fish, would you also agree that prepared human foods are the best way to go?

No this discussion between us was stemmed from your comment about peacocks needing high protein but I think I've proved "your so called high protein diet" is nonsense. Especially since the majority of the foods your feeding are junk and consist of very small amounts of actual protein or actual nutrition for that matter.

Hey but what do I know...

How have you proven a high protein diet in peacocks is nonsense? Proved is a HUGE statment. Take a step back a second, how are the foods im feeding junk when you have no idea what im even feeding. Your exaggerating to push your point of view.'Very little protein'? Living creature are built on protein and it isnt all going to disappear when frozen ect. Yes some nuetrience are lost in the process. What do peacocks naturally eat in the lake malawi? I can sense you arnt one to let the arguement go, especially now one of your girlfriends are here so ill bow out.

Last edited:
? I can sense you arnt one to let the arguement go.

Seeing that it's one strictly one sided it's not really a argument there is not much to let go, as you have not made a single point to support what you've been saying. Simply saying something without facts to support your point of view is well pointless...

Last edited:
Seeing that it's one strictly one sided it's not really a argument there is not much to let go, as you have not made a single point to support what you've been saying. Simply saying something with facts to support your point of view is well pointless...

In reality you have no idea how and what a peacock needs in term of neutrience. You can copy and paste nuetrient values in certain live/frozen foods all you like. I myself will try to continue to feed my peacocks closely as possible to what they would find and eat in nature, and definitely not put emphasis on mass produced pellet as a base.

Last edited:
Ok i might of seen a kink in my agruement and im guessing your arguement is based around peacocks in the wild eat what they can where in an aquarium enviroment you can feed them other things not found in their natural habitat that are indeed benifical. So ok i know what you now want to hear, im wrong and youre right.

Last edited:
In reality you have no idea how and what a peacock needs in term of neutrience. You can copy and paste nuetrient values in certain live/frozen foods all you like. I myself will try to continue to feed my peacocks closely as possible to what they would find and eat in nature, and definitely not put emphasis on mass produced pellet as a base.

I can say that none of the foods you find at the pet store are what peacocks are eating in the wild. And Hukit posted the information supporting that the best food would be a pellet

I can say that none of the foods you find at the pet store are what peacocks are eating in the wild. And Hukit posted the information supporting that the best food would be a pellet

I tend to mix fruit flies, chopped crickets, meal worms aswell as daphnia, bloodworms and the other commonly found aquaria foods and wait for the drumrole....... NLS cichlid pellet twice a week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom