Mysis shrimp frozen food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got frozen mysys shrimp cubes for my SA/CA cichlids. I've never fed protein to my peacocks and yellow lab. Could I also give them some? If so, how often? If it's ok should I not feed the next day?
Thanks!

I feed mine Africans some brine shrimp once a week and skip a day that week as well. I think you'd be okay feeding it once a week to the Africans if you want

Peacocks are strictly carnivorous and Need a high protein diet. Feed them mysis shrimp, more nutritious than brines. Target feeding with yellow labs in the tank will be more than tricky in this case i would feed mysis shrimp twice a week because peacocks need protein.

Last edited:
Peacocks don't need the protein a pellet alone would work just fine, they are actually more insectivorous than anything.

Of course they need the protein. I do agree a protein rich pellet will be ok but as the OP said they've never had protein, maybe i misinterpreted it. As for them being insectivorous aswell, yes, yes they are and insects are extremely high in protein and almost nothing else.

In the wild they only eat other living things. The veg in the pellets isnt needed. For me, all peacocks should be fed nothing but protein rich food. You wouldnt feed a lion steak with the trimming and peacocks ideally should be no different.

Last edited:
Peacocks aren't lions, they need more than protein. A healthy diet consists of a quality pellet. That's all they need and is the healthiest option. Feeding shrimp here and there and other high protein diets won't hurt but peacocks can still
Get Malawi bloat

Peacocks aren't lions, they need more than protein. A healthy diet consists of a quality pellet. That's all they need and is the healthiest option. Feeding shrimp here and there and other high protein diets won't hurt but peacocks can still
Get Malawi bloat

No obviously they arn't lions but the same principal is there. They have evolved to eat other living things not vegs or greens. Yes protein isn't the only thing they need but the other minerals they need can be found in their prey.They can get bloat but i dare say that is more due to overfeeding and not being caused by protein.

Suppliment a pellet once a week, wont do them any harm but their main food source should come from other living things.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but your wrong. You've got it reversed pellet should be the main food and myosis once a week. Especially when the tank isn't aulancara only

I'm sorry but your wrong. You've got it reversed pellet should be the main food and myosis once a week. Especially when the tank isn't aulancara only

Which is why i said twice a week. I never said strictly mysis shrimp either but a variety of live and frozen foods. Im not wrong on this one, i put my trust in nature, how can you argue dietry evolution Ttc. Suppliment pellets but my previous posts still stand.

Last edited:
I appreciate the advice, thanks. Ich is a parasite, so I assume it could come from bloodworms, but not sure

Peacocks are strictly carnivorous and Need a high protein diet. Feed them mysis shrimp, more nutritious than brines.

Do you actually know what the nutritional value of Mysis is? Let me just say that's it far, far from your proposed high protein diet, I wont even comment yet on the lack of nutrition. Below is Hikari's ingredients:

Guaranteed Analysis:Crude Protein10.5% minCrude Fat1.0% minCrude Fiber2.0% maxMoisture85.0% max <-----Stands out like a sore thumb!

Ingredients: mysis shrimp, water, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, pantothenic acid, inositol, niacin.

Hmmm please show me how that's a high protein or constitutes a balanced diet?

Some high quality prepared foods(NLS or Repashy) provide all the nutrition fish need. By including high quality protein sources and all the necessary supplements (Garlic, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract, Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocopherol (E), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate and Manganese Sulfate. ) they provide all the nutrition that fish need.

Most commercially prepared frozen foods consist of approximately 80% water, and the very process of freezing causes animals (such as Brine/Mysis Shrimp) to break the cell membranes due to expansion and contraction. When this food is then thawed, and rinsed, much of the nutrients will leach out from the animal and what is left is mostly shell with very little nutritional value. It's like trying to compare watermelon(frozen), popcorn(flakes), and steak(pellets) to one another, the equation simply doesn't work as that thinking is flawed.

Last edited:
A friend of mine said her fish got ich from feeding frozen bloodworms..?

Nonsense...in the free swimming stage they need to find a host or they die. Or this rumor that has been spread for far to long and I’m sure everyone has heard it at one time or another and that is “Ich is always present in a aquarium”. This statement couldn’t be further from the truth. It is important to note that the this protozoan can’t live outside water and if dried or frozen, its cell wall would collapse permanently destroying this single cell parasite so this point also makes the migration of this parasite from anything other than transport via infected fish or similar water transfer impossible.

Nonsense...in the free swimming stage they need to find a host or they die. Or this rumor that has been spread for far to long and I&#146;m sure everyone has heard it at one time or another and that is &#147;Ich is always present in a aquarium&#148;. This statement couldn&#146;t be further from the truth. It is important to note that the this protozoan can&#146;t live outside water and if dried or frozen, its cell wall would collapse permanently destroying this single cell parasite so this point also makes the migration of this parasite from anything other than transport via infected fish or similar water transfer impossible.

First off just lemme say...HUKIT! I'VE MISSED YOU!!!
Ok, now that that's out of the way...I'm glad to know this isn't true. Ive worried about it ever since she told me. I thought it sounded fishy, but she is adamant that she got ich from the frozen bloodworms.

Do you actually know what the nutritional value of Mysis is? Let me just say that's it far, far from your high protein diet.

Guaranteed Analysis:Crude Protein10.5% minCrude Fat1.0% minCrude Fiber2.0% maxMoisture85.0% max <-----Stands out like a sore thumb!

Ingredients: mysis shrimp, water, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, pantothenic acid, inositol, niacin.

Hmmm please show me how that's a high protein or constitutes a balanced diet?

Some high quality prepared foods(NLS or Repashy) provide all the nutrition fish need. By including high quality protein sources and all the necessary supplements (Garlic, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vegetable and Fruit Extract, Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocopherol (E), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate and Manganese Sulfate. ) they provide all the nutrition that fish need.

Most commercially prepared frozen foods consist of approximately 80% water, and the very process of freezing causes animals (such as Brine/Mysis Shrimp) to break the cell membranes due to expansion and contraction. When this food is then thawed, and rinsed, much of the nutrients will leach out from the animal and what is left is mostly shell with very little nutritional value. It's like trying to compare watermelon(frozen), popcorn(flakes), and steak(pellets) to one another, the equation simply doesn't work as that thinking is flawed.

Hmmm now show where i said a strict diet of mysis shrimp would be a balanced diet?
Youre simply taking part of my post out of context, the OP asked about feeding mysis. Never did i reccomend feeding an only mysis diet. Some would be better than feeding an exclusive pellet diet. Now youve pulled the nuetrient content of mysis from somewhere, now do the same for all the other frozen and live foods. Never ever did i say not to feed pellet foods.

Ill some up MY exact opinions on feeding Peacocks into one, short post so there are no confusions. Peacocks are carnivores and should be treated as such, their diet should consist of 5:2 with more than half of their diet coming from living things. Do with this information as you please.

Which is why i said twice a week. I never said strictly mysis shrimp either but a variety of live and frozen foods. Im not wrong on this one, i put my trust in nature, how can you argue dietry evolution Ttc. Suppliment pellets but my previous posts still stand.

This is the most flawed outlook with regards to feeding fish and dietary requirements, I'll touch more on this shortly.

Suppliment a pellet once a week, wont do them any harm but their main food source should come from other living things.

Never ever did i say not to feed pellet foods.

With that statement you fundamentally did. That should be the other way around, pellets nearly exclusively and your "treats" once a week.

Back to one of your first statements, feeding a high quality dry food will in most cases out perform live food(the only exceptions would be newly hatched fry or wild caught fish being transitioned to prepared foods). Most live foods also can increase the risk of adding unwanted pathogens, disease, and pollutants to one's system, and in the case of Black worms, White worms and Tubifex worms, these foods contain excessive fat that can deposit in and around the vital organs, resulting in long term health issues in the fish such as fatty liver disease.

Fish also aren't capable of knowing which food is more nutritionally sound, so the fact that they prefer one food, over another, should never influence a fish keepers choice of foods. It's like asking a kid if they want ice cream or broccoli for dinner...

With regards to frozen foods maybe you missed the point that over 80% of the food is water which being fish they already have plenty of. There is little to zero nutrition in most frozen foods so I'd encourage you to spend some time researching nutritional values before recommending a diet to a newer aquarist because what your getting here is simply wrong.

Last edited:
First off just lemme say...HUKIT! I'VE MISSED YOU!!!.

Thanks.

Ok, now that that's out of the way...I'm glad to know this isn't true. Ive worried about it ever since she told me. I thought it sounded fishy, but she is adamant that she got ich from the frozen bloodworms.

The protozoa needs to be introduced through the addition of fish, as the parasite can live in the gills of fish without being seen it's still the only way.

Back
Top Bottom