Name that cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problems Tetrin. :D We do have two of them but they are still rather small and maintain the blue/light blue coloration. I believe them to be one male and one female that haven't hitten the maturity coloration yet. But the sexing could be wrong since they were purchased as very small juvi's. They were about an inch in size when we purchased them. They are actually in the 29 gal tank growing out before we put them in the 150. I list them as being in the 150 because thats where they will ultimately be housed. This way I don't add too many fish, forgetting about the 3 that are being moved from the 29 to the 150.

For sure the blue one is a Kenyi. The other one could be many different fish at this point. How large is it? In regards to inches.

Since they are still small, I doubt the yellowish one is a Kenyi. When you purchased them Fluff, did it say on the tank what they were or were they listed as Asst. African Cichlids?

All I can think of is to wait and see. I know, not what you want to hear, but I'd wait and see how they turn out. I've never seen that particular fish before. The coloration has me stumped on what it could be. Or try searching www.malawimayhem.com and see what you can find. That's all I can think of. Sorry Fluff.

Don't be sorry. I appreciate the leads and suggestions. I knew when I bought them they may never be named. I'll give em some time to mature and see what happens. Thanks again. :D

Hey, just thought of something. Perhaps you've stumbled onto a new strain and the breeder accidentally let them go to the lfs? As Mr. Spock once said: "Once you've eliminated all the logical explanations...the illogical must be true."

Truely that must be it Jchillin!!! :lol:
I was thinking since it was just thrown in and labeled "african cichlids" that perhaps they are some type of hybrid. Hopefully they will keep on doing well, long enough to figure it out. :wink:

I would think that the orange one is a Metriclima esthera (I Probably misspelled the name) Female the males are a blue color and the females are orange and that color. Not 100% sure though.

JMHO

Good going Dan...you just ruined a perfectly thought out plan. I had scanned through nearly African cichlid site that I knew of (as did many others).

Oh well, back to the "logical explanation" drawing board...:)

BTW - Kudos to you Dan!

ok i bet on the second one being a red zebra male (light blue tinge on anal fins, hadn't noticed that before)

hey hey people...a perfect case of thunder being stolen....grrr...
jk :mrgreen:

also known as maylandia estharae / metriaclima estahrae.

tetrin said:
hey hey people...a perfect case of thunder being stolen....grrr...
jk :mrgreen:

also known as maylandia estharae / metriaclima estahrae.

Fluff said:
Ok, just looking for some ID's on some africans. I'm assuming the blue one is a demasoni and I'm thinking the red one is maybe a red zebra but if someone can confirm this or give me a positive ID, I'd appreciate it. :D

I mentioned the possibility of the red zebra in my start post. lol

Thanks Dan! The fish in the first pic of the link FF posted looks exactly like the yellow/orange one I have so I'm assuming it's a female zebra. And with the blue ribbing in the other orange one, a male perhaps? Can't really see that in the link photo. So, it's safe to assume I have two kenyi and two zebras. Thanks everyone. :D

Not a problem Fluff. I wouldn't have known what it was except one time we bought one because the woman at the lfs said that it would be perfect for our tank. I came home, acclimated the little girl, and came online to do the research and come to find out that they are one of the most aggressive Cichlids. But she was very docile (got picked on by the yellow Labs. 8O Such a baby) and ultimately died from Hexamitosis.

Tetrin- The fish that you named is similar in coloration, but the body shape and the lack of blue coloration on the fins made me think it's the Auratus. The Juli has more of an elongated head and more distinct stripes than the Auratus. Good suggestion though. :D

Back
Top Bottom