Name that fish - number 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiesto643

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again

Ok here's my second fish is like to learn more about. I think it could be a "red zebra cichlid" but male as he's blue.

I think I've managed to attach a pic (trying the mobile app so not sure if it worked!)

Anyone got the answer?

ForumRunner_20120712_213853.jpg

Tiesto643 said:
Hi again

Ok here's my second fish is like to learn more about. I think it could be a "red zebra cichlid" but male as he's blue.

I think I've managed to attach a pic (trying the mobile app so not sure if it worked!)

Anyone got the answer?

An albino variation of a Labidochromis Caeruleus (yellow lab) with the absence of yellow instead of the absence of black (more common) would be my first guess, but the black tail is unique.

Your fish is a pseudotropheus socolofi, also known as the powder blue pindani.

Dorsal fin markings are similar to the yellow lab's dorsal fin (but overall body shape and head/mouth structure different than labidochromis caeruleus).

kay-bee19 said:
Your fish is a pseudotropheus socolofi, also known as the powder blue pindani.

Ah... I've only encountered the all white (albino) versions of those in the stores here. Thanks for the correction.

Cobalt blue zebra's (metriaclima callainos) and socolofi's are similarly colored fish yet are different in many ways.

Cobalts, like most zebra's, have stockier builds and lack the black fin markings (and have differently shaped heads and mouths). The socolofi body form is more 'torpedo' shaped.

Here are the two species together: (cobalt top-left, socolofi bottom-right)
img_2024667_0_3abecaa58ea60a04a20b3ca29d52b1cb.jpg

LFS African cichlids can be mislabeled at times. :cool:

I just got a P.socolofi and I am very happy with it. I bought the one that was the dominant in the tank at the LFS. He's about only about 2" so I needed one that could hold his own with his tank mates: L. caeruleus (4), M.estherae (3), P."Acei" (5), and (1) P.cyaneorhabdos( "Maingano"). Maingano are beautiful also and are pretty mild mannered, all the color of P.demasoni and P. johannii but without the extreme aggressiveness.

Mainganos can be aggressive fish. They are most likely going to bully your other cichlids especially the acei.

Malawi Freak said:
Mainganos can be aggressive fish. They are most likely going to bully your other cichlids especially the acei.

I will have to keep an eye on him. Since it is only him with no female he's been good. I find that the Acei and especially my Yellow Labs are the most aggressive because there is one female of each and they tend to only pick on the males of their same species. Since I originally stocked with juveniles, I didn't end up with the 4-1 Female to Male ratio but actually the opposite. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom