Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Native fish of yellowstone aquarium.

Can it be done?
I'm an avid fly fisherman, and lived in Jackson Hole, WY. for a year when I was 20yrs old. That was 17yrs ago and im now posted in Seattle,WA. I've always had the desire to try a Yellowstone lake/River build.
Of course I know this is the Cichlid forum, but the most knowledgable well rounded fish keepers are found here.
My thought on the build is that a 200-300gal aquarium will be needed.
What's the best chiller on the market? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might look into a pond instead of a tank.I love this idea!! Keep in mind, along with a chiller, if your going with any type of trout, they need plenty of oxygen.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Try poking wyominglite and wyrenegade, they are your best bets for this particular build
Old 01-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What an awesome awesome idea. I'v always been a fan of native type builds but a Yellowstone build sounds really cool!! You have to keep us updated on it. Very interested to follow along!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If you are planning on having trout in this tank here are a few tips:

•lots of oxygen/dissolved oxygen
•do not take them from the wild get them from a fish hatchery, because the trout will not eat if there wild unless you have a supply of their natural food.
• trout in general need water below 60 degrees
• very clean water ( I mean very!)
Good luck, sounds like a sweet tank idea!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercichlid View Post
If you are planning on having trout in this tank here are a few tips:

•lots of oxygen/dissolved oxygen
•do not take them from the wild get them from a fish hatchery, because the trout will not eat if there wild unless you have a supply of their natural food.
• trout in general need water below 60 degrees
• very clean water ( I mean very!)
Good luck, sounds like a sweet tank idea!
A friend of mine has a wild caught rainbow trout in his 450 gallon tank and it eats nls pellets. Also he keeps his water temp at 70 degrees and hasnt had any problems with it. Hes had the trout in there for 3 years now. Also he said that it loves lots of water flow it will sit in the current of his power heads all day. I would love to do something like this if i ever get a tank that large.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very clean water is an understatement. Wyoming's native cutthroat trout species are very sensitive to nitrates, and can succumb to nitrate levels as low as 2 ppm within days. That is nitrates and not nitrites.

Species diversity is not especially high in the Greater Yellowstone ecosystem compared to the southern U.S. or a tropical region. Yellowstone lake itself only has two species of native fish, the longnose dace and the Yellowstone cutthroat trout. A native tank from this region could also include arctic grayling, mottled sculpin and longnose suckers. Off the top of my head, that's half the species native to Yellowstone Park proper, plus the addition of another subspecies of cutthroat trout.

I'd guess you'd have a heckuva time just gettin' this project started. The red tape required by either or both Game and Fish departments may (read as likely will) stop the whole project before ya get goin'. The potential for native fish to be released and become invasive or cross with native subspecies/hybridize with different species (trout in particular; cutthroats will hybridize with rainbows) makes most states very strict with importing native species and may very well make this logistically impossible from a legal standpoint.

It would probly be easier for ya to do a Columbia River biotope. Some of the species would likely be similar, and the legal aspects would be far easier to overcome and deal with.

WYite

"In the fields of observation chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Wyomingite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I think that Wyomingite hit the major red tape issues you are going to run into. Also just an FYI, there is a big push now to get the Yellowstone cutthroat listed on the endangered species list - two previous attempts have failed and the Wy. Game and Fish is doing their best to keep them off the list, but I've been told they wouldn't be surprized to see it pass the next time it comes up because of the discovery of Lake trout in Yellowstone Lake.

Size and Filtration would definitely be the two biggest issues you would face initially, and chilling that volume of water would take a huge investment. Something on a much smaller scale, like a sculpin tank, on the other hand would be much more doable.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Told you to ask them :P

I think a native tank is a great idea, but if there's not a great deal is species diversity, then the idea can go two ways: one with a non-exact biotope, or one that is a species (excluding inverts) only tank
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for all the great realistic feedback. Occasionally my fantasyland imagination for project builds takes over and puts probability on the back burner. I will look into other biotopes that are more in my region of play. It may take quite a while longer before the brain thunderstorm is done brewing and I'm able to start the project.

It really doesn't get any better than a fly fishing trip through The Yellowstone area. I caught monster 20 inch Cutthroat and ginormous Lake trout. I'm guessing the Lake trout are really having a serious impact on the Cutthroat populations?

Hope I can get back there this summer for a week or so. Such a awesome place!

Did anyone see that terrible movie "2012" with John Cusack? How funny was it when he outraced the Yellowstone eruption in a busted up RV and a Cessna plane? That movie was too over the top even for Hollywood.

Anyway, sorry bout the quick rant. Thanks again for the Terrific advice and solid enthusiasm.

Tags
native, stone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com