Natural looking cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kade

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gal african cichlid tank, I have a pirate ship in my tank and i wanted to know from anyone with experience what is natural that will offer my cichlids protection and look nice and natural, please put up some pictures to please, thanks for your help

Rocks, rocks and more rocks. Go to your local landscape supply and they'll have a ton of different kinds for pennies on the pound. Don't go to your LFS which sells rock for $4-5 per pound.

In my mbuna tanks, I use Texas holey rock in one and slate in the other. What your trying to do is create zones, caves and cracks. I don't make large caves as my fish tend to slip into cracks/crevices all around the set up. I also try to stack rocks over three quarters of the tank minimum with some hitting the waters surface. Be careful when stacking rocks for the fear of them falling and cracking your tank. Whenever I set up a mbuna tank I place egg crate on the glass, then stack the rocks, and the pour the sand. This gives a stable footing.

Has anyone been able to find cheap rocks online? The only place that has good looking rocks near me is petsmart and they are way over priced. Hukit are you leaving the egg crate in the bottom of the tank? I've been wanting to go for a more natural look as well, and I love the way your tanks look in your albums.

Rocks online I'm sure could be found but the shipping would be crazy expensive. Landscape supply is cheapest place around.

The egg crate stays under the sand, sometime the cichlids dig down but I just cover it back up.

I have some cichlid stones mixed in with real rocks in my tank and I think they look nice and the fish love them! You can get them off the dr foster and smith website for reasonable prices. They also make ceramic stumps and logs. They look really natural and are lightweight.

Wow I actually found a supply store near me. Anything special need to be done to the rocks before tanking them?

Nope just give them a bath with hot water and knock off any loose dirt or debris.

Some people use vinegar to test for rocks that will raise or buffer your PH. If the vinegar fizzes it will slightly raise the PH, which is fine.

I also like the Ceramic stuff, mine is the thought that it does not displace as much water. (I do have both in mine, natural and ceramic) The more water it displaces the more difficult my water parameters become.

Back
Top Bottom