Need advice - Changing Gravel to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great.. Good conversation about power heads too, I've been considering getting one for the 90.

Thanks. I'm really hoping that the PH will help with any detritus that will accumulate on the sand. Last night after feeding them, I was shocked by how much food the miss and settles on the bottom. The amount of crud that was stirred up by removing the gravel was sickening. No wonder they had been acting somewhat lethargic lately. In doing this change, that's my biggest bit of advice, remove the decor, and vacuum the hell out of the gravel.

I was surprised as well with all the waste and garbage in the gravel when I switched my 10 gallon from gravel to sand. I completely cleaned out the tank to do so and since it was a 10 gallon I just scrubbed it real clean before putting sand in there.

What I did was use a solo cup. I scooped up the sand (after cleaning it of course), had it angled slightly in one direction upward while letting the water fill the cup up. Then I put the cup close to the bottom and dumped it. Hardly stirred up anything. Just slid right out in chunks and fell flat on the bottom.

I'm not really liking the sand I have though. I used pool filter sand (whitish in color), but makes the tank seem bland. I need to add some color to make it "pop.".

I don't know If anyone said it but you could use a shop vac to take out the gravel from the tank.

Fishguy1997 said:
I don't know If anyone said it but you could use a shop vac to take out the gravel from the tank.

Only for a fish out substrate change. I know that should go without saying, but you never know ;)

Fishguy1997 said:
Oh I should've mentioned that sorry.

I only said it because you know some water head will try it with fish in, and then be all upset and blame us for giving his fish a ride they will never forget, much less survive. I actually was considering the shop vac for a fish out change, but wanted to leave them in to reduce the risk of injury. I didn't want my AFC to get his barbs caught in the net.

Crawdaddy said:
I get tired of typing it out all the time, thought I would try to shorten it, guess it didn't work.

Other people probably know what it is just I don't

Here are a couple of more pics, with the new guys added. Also I found a couple of nice pieces of holey rock yesterday that I incorporated to day by stacking with the one piece I already had.

image-3823022454.jpg

image-2630926276.jpg

image-2570838447.jpg

image-3023698801.jpg

image-3210658006.jpg

Looks awesome! How big is the aquarium again? Im to lazy to scroll backwards.

55gal. But I might be upgrading soon. I just found a 150 with hoods and lights for 400. I need to go look at it to see if it's worth it.

I thought it was a 55. Good deal for the 150 if its good. I know I'm looking to upgrade to a 125.

I'm wanting a 6ft tank for the swimming room. If its not beat up, I'll probably get it and put it storage until I can outfit it the way I want. I just added 8 more juvies last weekend, and I'm going to need the room before long.

Back
Top Bottom