Need advice - Changing Gravel to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be careful storing used tanks. The seals can dry out and when you decide to put them back in use you get a side blowout. Not pretty with 100+ tanks. I've seen it first hand a few times now.

Malawi Freak said:
Be careful storing used tanks. The seals can dry out and when you decide to put them back in use you get a side blowout. Not pretty with 100+ tanks. I've seen it first hand a few times now.

Any thing to look for that the seals have dried out

Cracking or just a dried look. It's not hard to reseal. Just get some aquarium safe silicone (you can use ge type-II if memory serves me correct which is most of what is found at home depot or lowes). While you are there get the edging tool which is just a piece of plastic with a 45 degree edge and put some new silicone over the corner and run the edging tool up it real quick. If its the bottom just put it on and clean it up with your finger since the tanks trim will keep it from view.

I use the brand dap. Comes in an aqua blueish green tube.

Thanks Malawi, I guess as long as the glass isn't scratched I'll probably get it. It will take awhile to get all the equipment that I want for it, and we are discussing selling the current house and buying a new one, so in order to not have to move a fourth tank....

Oh god. Let's not even talk about moving tanks. When I bought the house im in now (2 years ago) I had to move 10 tanks. Only tank I had with was my 125 cause that was absolutely impossible to do on my own.

You can repair scratches in tanks. This one guy I know who makes his living off aquarium maintenance goes to jewelers and gets the stuff needed. I did a quick search and this sounds like what he does. Keep in mind too most scratches will only be on one side which was the front of the previous owner and the back will be fine. You can just use that back as your front.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4798938_remove-scratches-glass-aquarium.html

Cool, thanks bubba. I'm going to go look at it Saturday. The guy that owns this IFS I just found has it. It's in storage right now.
On a slightly different topic, what kind of filter/filters would be recommended? On my 55 and 37 I'm running a Fluval 306 and love them. I was thinking about running 2 of the 406's for a 150. Any thoughts?

Crawdaddy said:
Cool, thanks bubba. I'm going to go look at it Saturday. The guy that owns this IFS I just found has it. It's in storage right now.
On a slightly different topic, what kind of filter/filters would be recommended? On my 55 and 37 I'm running a Fluval 306 and love them. I was thinking about running 2 of the 406's for a 150. Any thoughts?

You would be better off getting an FX5 IMO. 2x406 would be 766 GPH at $340 and a single FX5 is 925 GPH at $240. You could augment the FX5 with a HOB (AquaClear 110, Emperor 400, etc) which would add 400-500 GPH for $50-$60 and put you right at 10x filtration for still less than the 2 406s.

I was doing some research on the FX5 earlier, and there were a number of complaints about micro-bubbles. Currently one my 55, along with the 306, I have a marine land hot magnum 250. While I had gravel in the tank, I ran crushed coral in it to buffer the PH, but now I have a polishing filter in it. Do you have any experience with the FX5?

Crawdaddy said:
I was doing some research on the FX5 earlier, and there were a number of complaints about micro-bubbles. Currently one my 55, along with the 306, I have a marine land hot magnum 250. While I had gravel in the tank, I ran crushed coral in it to buffer the PH, but now I have a polishing filter in it. Do you have any experience with the FX5?

When the filter is set up correctly there should be no micro bubbles. I have had my 125 up and running for about 7 months now with an fx5 and i have experienced no micro bubbles.

That pretty much goes along with what I've seen for the FX5. It seems like flow restriction is the chief cause for micro bubbles. I don't have one myself (none of my tanks are a size that justifies an FX5) but I researched them when I saw a used one for sale for $175. I know that many of the members here use them, so they would probably be able to provide better guidance on it. I have 205s, 305s, and 405s (previous generation to the 06s) on all my tanks and love them. I just know I would try an FX5 if I had any larger tanks (all mine are 60 gallons or less). Good luck on whichever choice you make.

Crawdaddy said:

The older manufactured fx5's had a different lid with a longer intake tube that led to the micro bubbles. The newer ones have the newer lid and do not have this issue. I just bought one off Craigslist with the old style lid, emailed fluval, and they are shipping me a new lid for free.

Cool, that was nice of them. I might be sold on it. Amazon has it on sale right now, so I might have to get one, I don't need it right now, but I will in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom