Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Need advice on switching tanks please

I need some advise.. I have 2 well established tanks. I have a 55gal community tank with some loaches and I have a 50gal bow front with african cichlids. I want to switch tanks I want to put the cichlids in the 55 because its longer and the loaches in the bow front. What is the easiest way to do this? If the water chemistry as far as ph ends up being about the same could I just switch the fish and not the substrate and the water that they were in? I'm saving up for a lager tank but I would like for my cichlids to have a little more room to swim from side to side. Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as the parameters are the same, you should be able to just swap me over easily. I've got three tanks in my room and sometimes if I gotta move a fish I just net it and toss it in the new tank, never had a problem. Just make sure temps and ph are the same. I could be wrong, but in my own experience I've never had an issue

Old 03-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks so much for the reply. I was also wondering about the filters. Both tanks have the same filters but as far as the bacteria built up on them do you think anything is different from one tank to another? And same with the substrate the cichlids have sand and the other is gravel. But when I do water changes the same new water goes into both tanks
Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It should be fine, as long as there's generally the same amount of fish. Like unless you have just the loaches in one tank and then an overstocked cichlid tank, it should be alright. Moving the cichlids into the tank with gravel will also have more bacteria built up because the gravel harbors it on all it's surface area.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Should I vacuum the gravel really well before putting the cichlids in? I think the loaches will also like the sand better because they are bottom feeders and they could dig and sift thru the sand easier to eat
Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

By having more bacteria in the gravel is that a good thing?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsojkrieger View Post
By having more bacteria in the gravel is that a good thing?
98% of your bb is in your filter..
Old 03-11-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I switched tanks 2 days ago and every one is fine. I know a lot of people change their filters once a month or what not. But I normally don't I usually go a few months if not several months and my tanks stay Crystal clear and the water quality stays good, what's everyone's imput on that? How often do you change filter media
Old 03-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're doing it right! I don't change it out until it's falling apart, I just swish it out in a bucket if tank water
Old 03-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good I'm glad someone else feels the same way, I have friends who are religious on buying new filters and I always say they are wasting their money I never change mine and they are disgusting lol but my water stays crystal clear and the water quality stays perfect

Tags
advice, chi, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com