Need advice to go from 2 feedings to 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nenuphar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

We are going on vacation for a few days and will have somebody come over feed the fish and the cat. I ususally feed the fish twice a day but the petsitter can only stop by once a day. I will give the petsitter a pillbox with fish food inside so I can control how much he puts in the tank.

Do I just double the amount I normally give, i.e. combine the two feedings into one? This will give my fish the same amount of food per day.

Or do I give them slightly less food, as the fish don't finish the food after 2 min. Except I tried that for a couple of days and one died. My tank is also understocked, which might be the problem.

I will be gone for 9 days and there are 13 cichlids in a 125g tank, half of them under 2in and the other half over 5in.

Thanks for any advice!

Vacation Tank Care

Hi,

We are going on vacation for a few days and will have somebody come over feed the fish and the cat. I ususally feed the fish twice a day but the petsitter can only stop by once a day. I will give the petsitter a pillbox with fish food inside so I can control how much he puts in the tank.

Do I just double the amount I normally give, i.e. combine the two feedings into one? This will give my fish the same amount of food per day.

Or do I give them slightly less food, as the fish don't finish the food after 2 min. Except I tried that for a couple of days and one died. My tank is also understocked, which might be the problem.

I will be gone for 9 days and there are 13 cichlids in a 125g tank, half of them under 2in and the other half over 5in.

Thanks for any advice!

Hello nenu...

We go on vacation for a couple of weeks at a time and a couple of weeks before we leave, I feed the fish a little more and a little more often. Two days prior to leaving, I stop feeding and do a larger than normal water change. The fish live off their small fat reserves and I come home to a clean tank.

Fish can easily go a couple of weeks without food. In their natural living areas, they're lucky to eat once or twice a week.

When we leave, we have someone check the tanks to make sure everything is running and leave the number of someone who knows something of aquariums. I never let anyone feed the fish, but that's just me. If you have someone who knows tanks, then that's a different story.

B

Wow, cichlids can go two weeks without food! I have read one week was usually ok, but I did not know they could go that long. I will start frequent feedings then. Thanks for the tip about leaving the phone number of someone who knows about fish keeping.

I typically have someone stop by every other day. I use ziplock snack bags and detailed instructions. The pillbox is an even better idea. I would feed the normal amount of food for 1 feeding. You don't want extra food polluting the water.

Fish only need to eat every few day most people who keep fish feed once daily with a fast day. Cichlids are always begging for food so it looks like they are starving but they aren't.

I wont go more than 3 days without a feeding. A couple weeks seems a bit extreme but I guess it works for B.

Back
Top Bottom