Need an algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sidman24, what is your feeding schedule? How long are your lights on for? And what is your water change schedule? What are the other fish you couldn't remember?

Your problem could be over feeding, over stocking, and the lights being on too long.

You could try keeping your lights on a couple hours less, feed every other day, and changing more of a percentage of water then you currently change. Adding more fish to help the algae usually doesn't help.

I feed once in the morning. Lights are on about 8-9 hours a day. I did a stocking thing on aqua advisor and it said my stocking level was 78% with plenty of filtration. I ordered some micro nutrients to add to my macro I'm dosing. I'm told that could be the cause, I didn't know I needed to balance it out. I change water once a week about 30-40%

Well you can try the ferts and see if that works but if the algae is still bad, and it's making the tank look bad the I would do a combination of everything. Add more plants, 1-2 hours less light, feed every other day, and change 50% weekly.

Ive recently started a split lighting schedule with a 4 hour midday siesta and it seems to be working pretty good so far. Lights on 8am-12, off 12-4, then on 4-10pm.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ive recently started a split lighting schedule with a 4 hour midday siesta and it seems to be working pretty good so far. Lights on 8am-12, off 12-4, then on 4-10pm.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That doesn't confuse the fish?? When I turn my lights off it seems my fish go to sleep immediately haha

Why not just clean the algae weekly with the water change? I do it as part of my weekly maintaince

Why not just clean the algae weekly with the water change? I do it as part of my weekly maintaince

Well I've never really seen it as a problem. And I mean now it's started to get a little carried away... I think next water change I will scrub with one hand and use the syphon with the other

Well I've never really seen it as a problem. And I mean now it's started to get a little carried away... I think next water change I will scrub with one hand and use the syphon with the other

LOL I start the syphon the do the glass then the sand and at that point im between 50 and 70% water out.

My syphon has no power at all, I use a python so it's very weak and can't even suck up poo. I gotta help it out haha

I have the cheaper one aqueon. it works well. maybe your water pressure is low?

I have the cheaper one aqueon. it works well. maybe your water pressure is low?

Well actually I think mine is aqueon... Yeah I'm not too sure. But I read it's fairly common for that to happen

Back
Top Bottom