Need an Opinion on what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheapeeper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30 gallon with 1 agressive male Black Convict who seems to rule the tank, and there is 1 female slightly smaller then the male who seems to hide all the time when she's not being chased around at high speeds. There are also 3 Zebra Danios in the tank added to kind of stop the males agression (not working). :nono:
My question is should I maybe add another female Black Convict to the bunch so the lonely female isn't always being singled out? :?:
The Danios aren't stopping the agression from the male so was just wondering if I should add 1 more female Convict so I have some kind of a chance at getting a pair.

One option is to return the male and try another male and see if the aggression is less with a different male. You could also try rearranging some of the ornaments and see if that helps, although I am doubting it as your dither fish aren't working.

Another option is seeing if you can get a larger tank then add another female. With an highly aggressive male, 30 gals may simply not be enough to maintain more than one aggressive fish. I would recommend looking at a 55 gal minimum. Some fish's personalities are just more aggressive than others of the same species.

If you do decide to add another female, keep a close eye on the situation, it may end up being worse for the less dominant female.

Well I could remove the male and add in a smaller male and see how that goes. I do have a male that is more her size 1 1/2 Inch. it's just all I could do with the aggressive male is put him in a 10 gallon tank since that's all I have room for him right now. The 55 I do have has an Oscar and 2 male Convicts in it right now 1 is on the other side of a divider. I dont have room for the 3rd male. UGH.
I guess I could ask the LFS if they will take 1 or even 2 of the males.
I dont want to see a 3 inch Convict stuck in a 10 gallon aquarium for very long. Even if he is mean.
I'll put an add on Freecycle for 2 male Convicts. I had an add in Craiglist but no-one even replied.

It's tough to give away convicts since they are such prolific breeders and they are not the easy fish to introduce to a tank. I would not add any more fish to the 30 gal and continue to try giving away one or two of the males.

Well the 2 males I was thinking of giving away are not in the 30 gallon. they are in the 55 and separated with a divider. If I can't give them away they will meet their demise some other way. I just dont have the room for them being bully's and not pairing up with the 1 female I have.

Well today I put them on freecycle and have someone picking them up tonight. The 2 most agressive Convicts that is.
I put the little male from the 10 gallon in with the female they are the same size and they are getting along GREAT for now. Hope these 2 work out.
I will now have a free 10 gallon to use as either a hospital tank or I can put something with color into it.

I responded to your other thread on what to put into the 10 gal, but if you don't have a hospital tank, you may want to keep this one free.

Glad i had it tonight my Oscar decided he was going to have fun with my 1 remaining Convict that was in with him and I rescued the poor thing before any real damage was done, I think he just knocked it for a spin a few times but it wasn't swimming normal.
I put it in the 10 gallon and even though it's small for the 3 inch Convict the poor thing is recovering nicely since being knocked around and attacked by Oscar. I added some melafix and it seems to be ok for now. I will call this weekend and try to donate it to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom